Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My older step children (4 and 5) have started lying to get each other in trouble. One of them will do something wrong and then they both run to me saying the other did it. It takes a long time for me to get the guilty one to confess. They both end up sitting at the table or in their room for a long time. I feel bad knowing that one of them hasnt done anything and he's still being punished. Any suggestions?

by on Oct. 6, 2012 at 10:50 AM
Replies (11-13):
KaylaMillar
by Bronze Member on Oct. 10, 2012 at 11:49 AM
Oh man I'm not sure
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
isabellah
by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 3:17 PM

one thing that helps is getting them to know the difference from tattling and telling.  if they are just telling you to get someone in trouble thats tattling and yoo could have a no tattling rule.  However, if they are telling to keep someone from getting into trouble then thats a good time to tell.  Does sound as if they are bored and spending too  much time together. Do you have a new baby in the house?  You said they were your older step children and they are only 4 and 5.  If you have time kids almost always love to be read to.  Also what are they doing wrong?  Is it really wrong? Or are there too many ways to do something wrong in the house.  Sounds as if  they really want more attention since they get so much time with you while you are sorting it all out.  It's tough on kids because doing the right thing for kids doesn't always get the attention that they need so they do something bad which gets our attention.  

Good luck

Wish2Be
by Michelle on Oct. 10, 2012 at 3:47 PM

Unfortunately this happened with my sister and I when we were younger too....my parents handled it the same way you are.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)