Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do you let your kids watch Honey Boo Boo? How do they react to the show?

Posted by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 9:45 AM
  • 47 Replies

I Let My Sheltered, White-Bred Kids Watch 'Honey Boo Boo' & Now They Wish They Were Rednecks

Posted by Cynthia Dermody on October 9, 2012 

All Honey Boo Boo familyfamilies are different. Honey Boo Boo's family is very different, at least from mine, and not in a good way or a bad way -- just an ohmygah so drastically different way. I mean, they are rednecks, y'all, and proud of it. Good for them. And my kids ... well ... my kids are just about the exact opposite of redneck. They are not rich or spoiled by any stretch, but we live in the suburbs of the East Coast, in a town that has blue-ribbon schools, shop at the local farmers' market every Saturday, and put a lot of emphasis on sports, fitness, and health. We do not feed our newborns soda, shop from a dumpster, keep recliners in our front yard, or refer to a part of a woman's anatomy as a "biscuit" ... you get the idea.

With all the attention Here Comes Honey Boo Boo is getting, I was dying to know how my sheltered, white-bred, middle-class 9-year-old and 7-year-old would react to a bunch of hillbillies from McIntyre, Georgia. We don't get out much (all those organized sports), so I broke the "one hour of carefully monitored television viewing, weekends only" rule and let them watch two episodes of Here Comes Honey Boo Boo while recording their running commentary:

Oh my gosh.

Are they sort of big?

You wouldn't let us do that, Mom. You'd give us a consequence.

Which one is the mom?

They're rich. They get to do everything. Fun stuff.

They're so lucky, they have a dog.

What the heck?

Did you see her neck?

She doesn't have a neck.

Ew. They are taking stuff from the garbage. They are littering, too.

What are they eating?

They are about as rich as us, maybe a little less.

I'd like to get that pool.

How does a teenager that age not know how to spell "lemonade"?

They talk funny.

They're from the South, that's how they talk there.

She has one big belly.

That is so disgusting.

That is ice cream. They eat ice cream and ketchup.

Ew.

I would hate a meal like that.

Ew.

I bet nobody in this state would have that. Literally, ever.

Is that pasta?

She screams like crazy.

They have tons of toilet paper. It's like a whole shop.

I don't know why he's called Sugar Bear.

That is one rude family.

Ew.

They are different from all other families.

That's a big couch. And they are lazy.

Their mom is about four times the size of me.

The great thing about this experiment was that my kids came into this without any judgment, and left the same way, which made me really proud of them. They were simply fascinated by a family who looks, acts, and lives so differently from them. I actually felt at times like they were jealous, wished they lived more simply and carefree like June and her clan -- had less of the structured chaos of organized sports, homework, and playdates and more lazing around the pool all day, laughing about passing gas, eating junk food ... exactly what my kids would do all day if their parents weren't around forcing them to go to school and eat their bananas and stuff.

I didn't bother to mention to my kids that Honey Boo Boo and her family are now making $50,000 an episode, and will likely end up way "richer" than my family will ever be if they play their cards right. That's a lesson for another day.

Do you let your kids watch Honey Boo Boo? How do they react to the show?

by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 9:45 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lalasmama2007
by Ticia on Oct. 10, 2012 at 10:35 AM
No, we don't have cable.
Always.Lovely.
by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 10:36 AM
No. I'm not a fan of reality tv and we don't have cable anyways.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mama91605
by Member on Oct. 10, 2012 at 10:39 AM
I am redneck to a point. But I can't stand that show. My front yard is clean and my kids eat healthy. But I love camping and outdoors stuff. Love the mud and letting my kids get dirty but they are tought to be respectful.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
NoahsCoolMama
by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 10:41 AM

My son loves the show and we usually watch it together. It is funny entertainment for us. My son does ask if they really do those things, and I tell him yes, because it is a reality show.

4kidz916
by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 10:42 AM
1 mom liked this

We don't watch it.  It's not that I don't allow the kids to watch, they just think it's a ridiculous show. 

notjstanothrmom
by Member on Oct. 10, 2012 at 10:43 AM

We don't have cable, but even if we did I would not let my kids watch that train wreck of a family. They are not redneck, they are pure trash. Redneck does not mean that you hype your kids up on sugar, spend all your money on pageant stuff while letting your house and yourself go to shit. They are a disgrace and I wouldn't want my kids to watch that and make fun of them because there is no possible way to take them seriously. There is something seriously wrong there... and even worse on the part of TLC and exploiting that little girl who I can guarantee will NEVER get out from under being Honey Boo Boo and her insestual family. She will be a drug user and abuser.

whitleypittman
by Member on Oct. 10, 2012 at 10:46 AM
1 mom liked this
My DH turned it on once and our one year old ran away from it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KaylaMillar
by Bronze Member on Oct. 10, 2012 at 11:54 AM
We don't have cable
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Threes.Company
by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 12:29 PM
We don't watch crap. ;)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ceciliam
by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 12:45 PM

I wouldn't even let myself watch that garbage.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)