Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Tips for Handling Older Kids' Tantrums

Posted by on Oct. 14, 2012 at 2:17 PM
  • 6 Replies

Tips for Handling Older Kids' Tantrums

Just when you thought you had left the dreaded t-word—TANTRUMS—behind, your school-age kid starts to act up, act out and act in every which way to make you crazy. Yes, even though your big kid is not a toddler anymore, it's not uncommon to deal with meltdowns. So here are a few tips to deal with them:

• Go to the source. Try to uncover the cause of your kid's tantrums. When does he start to lose control? Is it when he's tired, bored, hungry, or is something else causing him to stress? Sometimes when you understand where he's coming from, you can prevent the triggers and the tantrums.

• Stop it before it starts If you know your kid's triggers and see that he's on the verge of losing control, act quickly to calm him down or encourage him to focus his attention elsewhere. You don't want to wait until after the tantrum train has left the station.

• Keep your cool. Easy for us to say "don't stress," but it's important to stay calm and in control to show your kid you can manage your stress. Remember kid's pick up emotional cues from us.

• Practice your poker face. Try not to react to your kid's tantrum and reward his acting out with your attention. If he gets a rise out of you every time he loses control, he's got the upper hand.

• Make an honest assessment Do your kid's tantrums come and go, or are they more chronic? Do they happen frequently both at home and outside the home? Do they escalate to the point of aggression toward other people and destruction of property? If you are concerned, seek professional help to cope with your child's behavior.

• Hang in there! All kids go through ups and downs, and you're not alone in dealing with tantrums. Try to be patient, focus on the positive and enjoy the ride.
  • by on Oct. 14, 2012 at 2:17 PM
    Add your quick reply below:
    You must be a member to reply to this post.
    Replies (1-6):
    Wish2Be
    by Michelle on Oct. 14, 2012 at 7:59 PM

I dont agree with seeking professional help if its MEDICAL help...Homeopathic Mental Health would be fine. I just think that doctors are so quick to medicate these days...it would be a sad outcome.

SabrinaLC
    by on Oct. 14, 2012 at 8:05 PM

Thanks for this because my 2 year old and my 6 year old have been pretty awful lately! lol

It's like they're competing :-/

Samanthamommy
    by on Oct. 14, 2012 at 10:04 PM

thank you

MamaBear2cubs
    by Bronze Member on Oct. 14, 2012 at 10:06 PM

I actually saw a lady who taught her 5 year old to do deep breaths and count to ten. It seemed pretty effective

alliesmom112
    by Bronze Member on Oct. 14, 2012 at 10:19 PM

some great tips thanks for sharing 

swati88
    by on Oct. 16, 2012 at 2:57 AM

Nice shared tips though for newbies mom's as like me,I will surely use these tips in future for sure.Thanks for sharing.Keep sharing:)

Add your quick reply below:
    You must be a member to reply to this post.
    Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
    Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)