Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Parenting Positive Kids Parenting Positive Kids

How to Boost Your Kid's Self-Esteem (VIDEO)

Posted by on Oct. 14, 2012 at 2:55 PM
  • 4 Replies

From The Stir: Posted by Amy Kuras

How to Boost Your Kid's Self-Esteem (VIDEO)

Rejection and failure hurt when it happens to us, but when it happens to our kids? Now that's truly painful. Seeing them sad just tears our mom hearts right out.

Sympathizing and comforting them is important, of course, but how can we empower them to take failures in stride and learn from them to become confident and caring people?

Karen Walrond of Chookoloonks fame takes this topic on in the latest episode of her show. She and Dr. Laura Markham talk about how to get kids through tough times and boost their self-esteem in an empowering way. Check it out below.

The most important thing, they say, is to validate your kids. Rather than applaud their accomplishments or ask how they did on a test or in a game, praise the way they do something. For example, if your child is struggling with homework, praise how they keep at it and figure it out. If they are facing issues with friends, tell them you know it hurts instead of trying to cheer them up. And the sweetest thing? Praise something about who your child is. "I love the way you whistle all the time," for example, or, "It makes me happy to watch you play soccer."

Check out the video: It's less than eight minutes to better parenting!

How do you empower your kids?

by on Oct. 14, 2012 at 2:55 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
jessicasmom1
by Bronze Member on Oct. 14, 2012 at 3:44 PM

wonderful :-) I believe communication is a great key to sucess for everyone . Do not yell just tallk.

Meltopia529
by on Oct. 15, 2012 at 10:07 AM
By listening and encoranging him
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kellynh
by Bronze Member on Oct. 15, 2012 at 10:11 AM
Love this!!!
swati88
by on Oct. 16, 2012 at 2:30 AM

yes communication is the best key leads to any healthy relationship!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)