Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Parenting Positive Kids Parenting Positive Kids

What do you think about using fake information in your social networking profiles?

Posted by on Nov. 5, 2012 at 9:22 AM
  • 19 Replies
1 mom liked this

A Fake Facebook Profile Could Keep You and Your Kids Safe Online

Posted by Jennifer Lawinski on October 26, 2012 

Facebook Security QuestionsWhen it comes to what you post about yourself or your kids on social media sites like Facebook, maybe honesty isn't always the best policy. Across the pond, some officials are debating the wisdom of creating a fake Internet persona to keep you and your family safe from identity thieves -- or even real-world thieves if you've got your name and address online. And it sounds like a darned good idea.

I'm not advocating lying about your identity on the Internet and then going out and being a cyberbully on Twitter. But it is smart to list your hometown as the nearest major city instead of putting your actual street address on Facebook, to make it harder for creepy criminal stalkers to find you or hackers to steal your identity. Remember what happened to this guy over the summer who was locked out of his own digital life when he was hacked using information found online?

I also take precautions with things like my birthday -- I have the date posted on Facebook but not the year I was born. And maybe the answer to a security question should be a celebrity's pet name instead of your own. Some people even go so far as to create fake Internet personas -- with fake mothers and fake maiden names. That could be an even smarter move, as long as you can actually remember the fake details you use.

Of course, this all might make it harder to identify bullies who hide behind bogus identities. But if in the long run it protects you and your family, it sounds like it just might be worth it.

What do you think about using fake information in your social networking profiles?

by on Nov. 5, 2012 at 9:22 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
KaylaMillar
by on Nov. 5, 2012 at 11:55 AM

I dont see anything wrong with it

slw123
by on Nov. 5, 2012 at 12:51 PM

Interesting.....and I think it's a good idea!

mrswillie
by on Nov. 5, 2012 at 2:14 PM
I don't use fake info. If I don't want others to know something, I just don't post it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sweetlyblissful
by on Nov. 5, 2012 at 3:19 PM

Interesting...not sure if I would do it.

Meltopia529
by on Nov. 5, 2012 at 4:00 PM
I do have 2 FB profiles. One with all my real info and one for a free/missions group I'm starting. I don't want those ppl. Knowing the real me. They call me my fake name and have no clue my real name.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
mysticalmalissa
by Gold Member on Nov. 5, 2012 at 8:05 PM

Thanks for sharing.

terri76
by on Nov. 5, 2012 at 9:05 PM

Hmmmmm interesting but i am not so sure i would do it. i do not post stuff i do not want anyone not knowing!!

aneela
by on Nov. 7, 2012 at 3:29 PM

it's probably the same way pedo's gain access to kids...creating fake profiles...it's not going to prevent things 100% cuz there are creeps out there and ppl with bad intentions

aneela
by on Nov. 7, 2012 at 3:30 PM

my Fb is all about Doctor Who Merlin and Sherlock LOL...once in a while i post a thought or whatever...but really I am not gonna put a whole bunch of personal things on FB...

Quoting terri76:

Hmmmmm interesting but i am not so sure i would do it. i do not post stuff i do not want anyone not knowing!!

aneela
by on Nov. 7, 2012 at 3:31 PM

that sounds like a good cause...how come you don't want them to know the real you? is it like ppl who have a checkered past so you dont want them to know your info?

Quoting Meltopia529:

I do have 2 FB profiles. One with all my real info and one for a free/missions group I'm starting. I don't want those ppl. Knowing the real me. They call me my fake name and have no clue my real name.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN