Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Parenting Positive Kids Parenting Positive Kids

5 ways to keep grandparents gift giving under control

Posted by on Nov. 6, 2012 at 9:13 AM
  • 18 Replies
1 mom liked this

5 Ways to Keep Grandparents' Gift Giving Under Control

Posted by Mary Fischer
on November 6, 2012 at 8:10 AM

opening Christmas presentsOMG. If your kids are anything like my son, then they're absolutely beyond spoiled by their grandparents. And when I say spoiled, I mean, "If Mommy won't buy it for me I can probably talk Grams into getting it the next time we're out shopping," kind of spoiled. (Yep, that's my kid.)

And while it's understandable for grandparents to want their grandchildren to have everything (and anything) during the holidays, often times they tend to go overboard and buy them gift after gift after gift -- to the point that you just want to look at them and say, "Enough, already!"

Being that I'm an only child, and my son is an only child, thus making him the only grandchild -- my parents definitely do way more than their fair share of making his adorable little face light up brighter than the tree on Christmas morning.

But now that he's getting a little older, it's probably high time that I tried to reel them in a bit as far as how many presents they wind up giving him. Here are a few tips I may even have to try this year in the hopes that they know when to "just say no" to giving their credit cards a beating.

1. Have them clean your playroom -- Yes, literally have them come over to your house and clean up your playroom at the end of each day. When they realize just how much stuff your kids have, odds are good that they'll get the message.

2. Set a gift limit -- If your children's grandparents tend to be really stubborn, laying some ground rules as far as how many gifts they are allowed to give might help keep them in line. (I said might. It's at least worth a shot.)

3. Set a dollar limit -- Simply tell them that you'd prefer they don't go over xyz dollars when it comes to what they get your kids. (Again, this one is easier said than done, but worth a try.)

4. Give them a list -- If you want to try and control how many presents the grandparents buy -- then give them a list of presents to buy and insist that they stick to it. (Easy enough.)

5. Have a heart-to-heart -- Sit them down and explain to them that you are hoping to teach your kids that giving is just as much fun as receiving this year, so they can help you instill this message in the kids by keeping the presents to a minimum.

What other tips do you have for keeping the grandparents under control this year?

by on Nov. 6, 2012 at 9:13 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Delirium003
by on Nov. 6, 2012 at 9:13 AM
I need to send this to my MIL
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
terri76
by on Nov. 6, 2012 at 12:44 PM
Nah. My mom does alot but gets him what he needs
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mrswillie
by on Nov. 7, 2012 at 7:15 AM

As a grand parent I would be pist if my kids set a dollar limit on me. It is my money and I will spend it how I want. 

To ad though, I love and agree with 5. Ds, dil and I talk about what I am getting the grandkids each year.

MichelleK41
by on Nov. 7, 2012 at 7:52 AM

Ohhhh one for the fridge, LOL! ;)

mamasbelly3
by on Nov. 7, 2012 at 8:46 AM
This is my sons first Christmas...he will be 6.5 months old & I am already hearing it "oh he will be old enough for toys!" Haha he's the first grandson and great grandson. I've tried politely telling them not to go overboard but I don't think they are listening. So we have decided to tell them nothing but books and educational toys. :) so far so good...
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
SabrinaLC
by on Nov. 7, 2012 at 9:41 AM

oh Grandmas gifts are ALWAYS better than my gifts :-/

We're going through our playroom and getting rid of (donating) a bunch of toys before Christmas comes

sweetlyblissful
by on Nov. 7, 2012 at 11:35 AM

I go with my mom to pick out what she buys them. 

Rushn311
by on Nov. 7, 2012 at 11:50 AM

I don't have to worry about this one. LOL Each grandparents gives my kids $50 each. Not too much.

MamaBear2cubs
by Bronze Member on Nov. 7, 2012 at 12:28 PM

I think it's their money, I could not tell my mom not to give my kids gifts she would be offended.

MamaMandee
by on Nov. 7, 2012 at 2:49 PM

I love the cleaning of the play room. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)