Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Parenting Positive Kids Parenting Positive Kids

#2 of 6 Things Our Kids Just Plain Won't Get

Posted by   + Show Post

Saturday Morning Cartoons, Late-Night TV or Any Time-Related TV Activity

We used to have to plan our bathroom breaks around commercials because there was no TiVo or video on demand or illegal uploads of the show on YouTube. If you wanted to see a program, your butt had better be in the seat, or it started without you. If you drank a lot of coffee or tea, you were eventually going to have to make a choice between missing crucial plot points or pissing your pants.

Sometimes, that was a lot harder than it sounds.

Do you like cartoons? Not too long ago, those were a valuable commodity for kids because they came only on Saturday mornings, and even then only for three or four hours. Well, at least the good ones did. We had early morning cartoons that came on before school during the week, but most of those were a sh!tty, poor man's version of the real thing.

Or if you were being punished, there was The Bozo Show.

So since they were on only at a very specific time, if you wanted to see them, you got your butt up early on a Saturday even though you had no other reason to get out of bed before noon. Otherwise, you missed them, and you had to wait another whole week to see them again.

Late-night talk shows were on the other end of the spectrum. Want to watch one, but you have to be up early for work? F*#@ you -- you either learned to function on five hours of sleep, or you learned to hate David Letterman.

I tried, but I just can't.

by on Nov. 11, 2012 at 3:26 PM
Replies (11-18):
BabyTeki
by on Nov. 13, 2012 at 10:22 AM
Now Saturday mornings stink
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JamesMom701
by on Nov. 13, 2012 at 1:04 PM

Now I can watch it all on Boomerang!

AzariahsMother
by on Nov. 13, 2012 at 11:06 PM

TFS

Bookwormy
by on Nov. 13, 2012 at 11:10 PM
1 mom liked this
...I'm Just a Bill.

Quoting apoynter:

...and thank God for "Schoolhouse rock"! 

Conjunction Junction what's your function..............

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Kmakksmom
by on Nov. 15, 2012 at 9:07 PM

Yep!

TheBabyFactory4
by on Nov. 15, 2012 at 10:41 PM
Love that show

Quoting apoynter:

...and thank God for "Schoolhouse rock"! 

Conjunction Junction what's your function..............

mamadee1971
by on Nov. 16, 2012 at 9:41 AM

Yup...the good old days of sitting in front of the tv, on Saturday mornings watching classic 'toons while eating a big bowl of whatever sugar-ladened cereal, in your pajamas.

Racing home just to watch the evening cartoons, especially "Schoolhouse Rock", before a book, for homework, was cracked open.

Loved those tv sitcoms where "the moral of the story is..." and still get a good chuckle out of it.

Meltopia529
by on Nov. 16, 2012 at 1:35 PM
Love them
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)