Holiday Planning: Holiday Countdown Chain
Time is a hard concept for young children to grasp—just ask anyone who's heard that familiar backseat moan, "Are we there yet?!?!??"(repeated 1,000 times). A good holiday planning activity for kids to count off the days to the holidays is with a paper chain. Kids make the chain, then rip off one link per day till The Big Day Arrives.
- Red and green construction paper
- Stapler, tape or glue stick
- Kid-safe scissors
- Cut paper strips from construction paper approximately 2" x 8".
- Staple, glue or tape strips to form links, as you would any paper chain.
- Depending on the number of days till Christmas, Hanukkah or Kwanzaa, number the loops from 1 up to 24 (24 will be at the top of the chain and 1 at bottom). Or from whenever you start!
- Hang the chain from a doorway or hook.
- Each day remove one loop from the chain.
- Consider making one chain for each of your kids.
- This is also a great idea for counting down to any big event such as a birthday or vacation.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.