Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Parenting Positive Kids Parenting Positive Kids

Imperfect Moments = Teachable Moments

Posted by on Nov. 15, 2012 at 9:55 AM
  • 29 Replies
2 moms liked this

Hi ladies,

Can you recall a time where you turned an imperfect moment into a teachable moment for your kids?

slapping forehead    girl giving flower

by on Nov. 15, 2012 at 9:55 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
angie2568
by on Nov. 15, 2012 at 9:58 AM

Just about all situations can be a teachable moment.

But yes when I get really angry and make a sinful remark (really that girl wore that, I cant believe that a*& hole just said that) I would say mama shouldnt have said that, I immediately asked God for forgiveness and explained to my kids that we must try not to be negative in anyway to anyone for any reason. Just be honest at all times even if it sounds mean say it in a nice voice!

AzariahsMother
by on Nov. 15, 2012 at 2:00 PM

Hmmm this would need some thought. 

AzariahsMother
by on Nov. 15, 2012 at 2:02 PM
1 mom liked this

I would have to agree that all situations are teachable.  Some moments you learn something simple and other times you learn something that is new or outside the box. 

Quoting angie2568:

Just about all situations can be a teachable moment.

But yes when I get really angry and make a sinful remark (really that girl wore that, I cant believe that a*& hole just said that) I would say mama shouldnt have said that, I immediately asked God for forgiveness and explained to my kids that we must try not to be negative in anyway to anyone for any reason. Just be honest at all times even if it sounds mean say it in a nice voice!

johnny4ever
by on Nov. 15, 2012 at 7:19 PM

when a word slips that shouldnt!

GwenMB
by on Nov. 15, 2012 at 9:21 PM
1 mom liked this

This wasn't really an imperfect moment - but DS#1 (age 5.5, in K) got really interested in the War of 1812 - and specifically in the story of Francis Scott Key writing The Star Spangled Banner.  We were at Fort McHenry on Memorial Day, saw a short film about it & visited the fort.  I got 2 books on it which we've read to DS many times.

So - DS was talking about the war & how we fought the British.  He said something about us not liking the British.  I told him that isn't true, the British are one of our best friends (country to country anyway).  He was puzzled about that so I said - its like how people can fight & then get over their fight & become good friends.  That's what happened with the British, we fought & then got over it & became good friends.  So hopefully he learned a lesson about how people & countries can become good friends even if we fight.

slw123
by on Nov. 15, 2012 at 9:23 PM
2 moms liked this

Oh boy...so many to choose from....

My daughter had a soccer game last night.  She was only put into the game for one quarter.  Since it's YMCA, and they are guaranteed to play half the game, I wanted to know WHY.  Her coach admitted he made a mistake.  While she was very hurt that she was left out, she saw that adults make mistakes and can apologize for them.

Rushn311
by on Nov. 16, 2012 at 2:44 AM

I really agree, that each imperfect moment can be  a teachable moment. Make  the good out of a bad situation.

mrswillie
by on Nov. 16, 2012 at 7:09 AM

Off hand, I can't think but I am sure there have been many

Meltopia529
by on Nov. 16, 2012 at 1:15 PM
I also agree.

Quoting Rushn311:

I really agree, that each imperfect moment can be  a teachable moment. Make  the good out of a bad situation.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
KaylaMillar
by on Nov. 16, 2012 at 3:34 PM

not that i can think of off the top of my head

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN