Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

#5 of 6 Things Our Kids Just Plain Won't Get

Posted by on Nov. 15, 2012 at 6:51 PM
  • 9 Replies

Anything Having to Do With Physical Mail

I remember when my best friend moved away for college, we would plan out our phone calls a week in advance because long-distance fees were charged by the minute -- and those racked up fast. There were no all-encompassing plans or flat fees at the time.

Mostly, we sat alone in the quiet and prayed for a day when the Internet would rescue us from the madness. 

Of course, there was always snail mail. Back then, it was just called "mail" ... the term "snail mail" only came about after email was invented. And believe it or not, mail used to be a primary form of communication. That's why the icon associated with your email is a little envelope. It represents the letters we used to send to each other when calling was too expensive.

They were delivered by the Pony Express, if memory serves.

But imagine your instant messenger working the same way as snail mail. Every time you said something to one of your friends, you'd be charged a quarter, and your friend wouldn't be allowed to read what you sent him until next Friday. It's hard to keep a friendship going through that.

For those reasons, having a pen pal was a big deal when I was a kid. It was the only realistic way we could meet and regularly talk to someone from another country. It was mind-boggling, knowing that you were actually talking to someone who lived on the other side of the planet. But if I were to walk up to someone right now and tell them, excitedly, that today I talked to someone from Australia, they'd look at me like I was shit-sculpting crazy.

Australia, Japan. Same thing.

Hell, the vast majority of my friends now are not from the United States. But if I couldn't talk to them instantly and free, that number would be reduced by 100 percent because foreign people are cheap, horrible monstrosities.

They had to be. Otherwise, they couldn't afford to go to college, where people were regularly ...

by on Nov. 15, 2012 at 6:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
mamadee1971
by on Nov. 16, 2012 at 9:50 AM

I don't think "snail-mail" is going to be extinct, anytime soon.  There are still folks who prefer "snail mail" like the senior citizens and folks who aren't as computer savvy or just don't send correspondence via email/internet. 

Doing business, paying bills, chatting with family/friends online would be a good way to save most of the trees, but should a power failure, crash or anything that our computer/internet access becomes limited and such, there's always "hardcopies" and "snail mail" to fall back on.

Meltopia529
by on Nov. 16, 2012 at 1:21 PM
I agree. I love sending and getting mail
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
terri76
by Terriny on Nov. 18, 2012 at 12:03 PM
Oh my son knows about snail mail..he has a pen pal and we send out cards for birthdays and holidays..and he wrote to my sil..his aunt everyday while she was in bootcamp
Meltopia529
by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 3:58 PM
That's awesome!

Quoting terri76:

Oh my son knows about snail mail..he has a pen pal and we send out cards for birthdays and holidays..and he wrote to my sil..his aunt everyday while she was in bootcamp
SabrinaLC
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 9:49 AM

We still use snail mail.

I hope that my children will get some actual snail mail penpals one day.  I think it's cool!

countrygirlkat
by Bronze Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 4:46 PM

We try to still send cards to the grand parents in the mail and when my son went to stay with my mil in Texas for three weeks this summer I sent him a letter there too.  I think they still get excited so it is fun to do sometimes. 

arthistmom
by Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 6:44 PM
Our kids know about "snail nail." In fact, it's our older son's chore to fetch the mail from the mailbox every afternoon when he gets home from school. And he still writes thank-you notes for presents he receives. Also, he gets an issue of the LEGO magazine every month in his name, which he thinks is cool.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AzariahsMother
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 10:50 PM

TFS

Kmakksmom
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 11:24 PM

This is very true!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)