Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Parenting Positive Kids Parenting Positive Kids

Tell Them, Thank Them

Posted by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 12:00 AM
  • 31 Replies
2 moms liked this

Thanksgiving is all about spending time with the family, sharing our memories and creating new ones. It;s a time to give thanks for the blessings we have in our lives and really feel a sense of appreciation. A time to relax, a time to enjoy, a time to really embrace a sense of family and togetherness.

Why not take the time to let your family know how you are feeling? Sometimes, that can be a difficult thing to do, especially if you have a different type of love language than your family. Your husband might be one who expresses his love with acts of kindness, while you might feel more comfortable telling people with words. Maybe your dad lets people know how they are feeling with purchases, while Grandma displays her love with a grumpy attitude. Everyone has a different love language and it can be a frustrating experience when you don't speak the same one.

Take the opportunity this week to express your thanks and your love to those members of your family that maybe you haven't always been comfortable doing so in the past. Maybe you have a friend who is always there for you. Maybe you have a coworker who has gone out of her way to try to help you in multiple scenarios and you feel like you've not really expressed your appreciation adequately. Have you really told your parents how much you appreciate what they've done for you?

Take this time to tell them "thank you". Share with them why they’ve had such an impact in your life and how they've changed your life for the better. Have they affected more in your circle than just you? Let that special someone know just how much they've helped everyone. Tell them how much they are appreciated for their actions and behaviors.

Maybe you already know who you would thank, but you aren't quite sure how you'll do it. Don't pick the things that you think you'd like, but try to think like your recipient would and buy for them. Instead of the same old flowers or candy, think about the things that your special someone enjoys. A stuffed animal? Tickets to a movie? Dinner and dancing? A day of babysitting, housecleaning, or an offer of grocery shipping? There's a way to personalize a gift for each and every person in your life.

Who is the special someone in your life? How would you tell them how special they are to you?

©iStockphoto.com/asiseeit

by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mrswillie
by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 6:37 AM

Because of hardships in our past, my family makes sure we tell and show each other how specila they are.

GwenMB
by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 7:24 AM
1 mom liked this

I have been trying to do a better job of thanking people who help me. We live far from family, so I'm dependent on friends when I need help. I've been making sure I say thank you & give a small gift in appreciation to people who do something for me.

I do need to tell my grandma how much I appreciate everything she's done for me, though.

Samanthamommy
by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 12:36 PM

We always try to remind and tell eachother how much we love and appreciate one another in our house.

MamaMandee
by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 2:47 PM

I do this all the time already!

SabrinaLC
by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 8:26 PM

My family is my special person.

He means so much and has done so much for me.

MamaBear2cubs
by Bronze Member on Nov. 26, 2012 at 8:45 AM

We tell eachother all the time.

elasmimi
by on Nov. 26, 2012 at 8:45 AM

My little 6 y/o great granddaughter. I tell her everyday how grateful I am that God saw fit to send her to me.

MichelleK41
by on Nov. 26, 2012 at 9:00 AM

All of our family is someone special to us. Simple things for the elderly ones is postal mail, letters, little knick knacks, stopping by to help out or just to sit and chat over coffee.

carolina_gal
by on Nov. 26, 2012 at 9:27 AM

My family is most imortant. I tell them all how much I love them on a daily basis.

natesmom1228
by on Nov. 26, 2012 at 10:01 AM
1 mom liked this

My husband is awesome! I tell him everyday I am so lucky to have him. He is amazing to my special needs son.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)