Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Parenting Positive Kids Parenting Positive Kids

Until We Hug Again

Posted by on Nov. 28, 2012 at 12:00 AM
  • 31 Replies
1 mom liked this

Like many people, I didn't appreciate my grandparents until they were gone. I'd give anything in my life to have one more opportunity to hug them, spend time with them, listen to their interminable stories, hold their hands and just spend time with them. Unfortunately, I didn't take advantage of it and now it's too late.

I see my own children with their grandparents, and I want to tell them, Wait. Stop. Take the time to listen. And I tell them. And, being kids, they smile and nod and agree - and go their own ways. I do what I can to encourage the relationships, help them see the beauty and the good, and cross my fingers and make a wish on a star.

Because that's really all that one person can do.

One of the best things about the holiday season is the opportunity to see your loved ones, to spend time with those people who may live right around the corner but just not make it into your life all that often. To enjoy the quirks of your special relationship, to laugh at the funny stories, to sit and watch football and chuckle when Grandpa falls asleep AGAIN.

What makes your relationship special with your aunt? Is it the fact that you both are not so secret Dr. Who fans? Why are you close to your Nana? Did she take you shopping for books for your entire life and encourage a love of reading? Why is your wild and crazy cousin one of your most favorite people? Did he, once upon a time, spend hours building LEGOS with you? Is there someone special to you that you only see at the holidays?

Do you have a relative that you just won't be able to visit with this year? Write a note, send a card, give a phone call. Let him know how special he is to you. Share those memories that you have, laugh at the jokes, forgive the arguments. Make this holiday season the most special ever, don't let it pass you by in a flash. Take the time to let them know how you feel.

Who will you tell? What will you say, and how will you say it?

ŠiStockphoto.com/AnnaRise

by on Nov. 28, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Madelaine
by Bronze Member on Nov. 28, 2012 at 10:24 AM

Good article.  I will have to give it some thought....

MamaBear2cubs
by Bronze Member on Nov. 28, 2012 at 11:10 AM

Interesting,TFS

GwenMB
by Member on Nov. 28, 2012 at 11:10 AM

I need to tell my Grandma.  I keep seeing articles about this & keep saying "Grandma"!  Must be a sign. :)

She didn't have any one special thing that she did.  She just loved us all unconditionally & showed us how to love & have faith in God.  Despite all the difficult times she's gone through, she still is the happiest, funniest person with such a joy for life & for her family.

AzariahsMother
by on Nov. 28, 2012 at 11:55 AM

This was good to read.

dusky_rose
by Sue on Nov. 28, 2012 at 12:31 PM

It really is a blessing to have one's grandparents close by. Mine died when I was just a little girl. I don't have my aunt and uncles in my life either or my mom and dad now. Thankfully my youngest son has one grandpa left in his life (his paternal grandma passed before he was born) and grandpa lives with us so he sees him everyday. My older children have a paternal grandma in their lives and she lives with them (they live with their dad).

Sue ~ Head Admin
~ D.V. Survivor/Admin

lalasmama2007
by Ticia on Nov. 28, 2012 at 12:52 PM

This article really made me miss my grandparents who are all deceased =(

supermeof3
by on Nov. 28, 2012 at 1:24 PM

My grandparents all passed when I was very little.  I only vaguely remember 1 of my Grandmothers, but she was wonderful :)

My kids, unfortunately, learned this lesson already as they lost their Pappy (my Dad) a couple of years ago and one of their Grandmom's is currently losing her battle w/ emphysema.   It's a really hard lesson to learn :(  Sorry for the down, post!  It is a wonderful (and very important) article!

MamaMandee
by Silver Member on Nov. 28, 2012 at 2:02 PM

I need to give my grandma a call. 

cara124
by on Nov. 28, 2012 at 3:03 PM
This made me think of an aunt I was close to as a child ... Hmmm I really need to call her/ send a card ! Thanks for the reminder
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
MichelleK41
by on Nov. 28, 2012 at 5:47 PM

Wow this is a good article and right now I'd write it but would blubber like crazy in front of little one so I'll come back. ;)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)