Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Parenting Positive Kids Parenting Positive Kids

Naughty, Naughty Man Gets Arrested for Telling Kids Santa Isn't Real- Do you think he got what he deserved?

Posted by on Nov. 26, 2012 at 3:24 PM
  • 18 Replies

Naughty, Naughty Man Gets Arrested for Telling Kids Santa Isn't Real

Posted by Julie Ryan Evans on November 26, 2012 

Santa ClausSo many times there is no justice in the world when people are just jerks. There are typically no laws against rude, selfish behavior, and so the assholes of the world go about ruining things for the rest of us with no repercussions. Once in awhile, however, they get just what they deserve, like this 24-year-old man recently did when he started trying to dash the Christmas dreams of some kids at a parade.

According to the Toronto Star, the man, who hasn't been identified (but should be so he can be publicly taunted as well), was drunk and belligerent at an annual Santa Claus parade in Kingston, Ontario. Then he started yelling his Grinch-like declaration, "Santa isn't real!"

It makes me seethe just reading about it. The fact that the paper reports that his hair was gelled to looked like two devil horns is not so surprising. 

But this time good triumphed over evil, and police arrested him. Not for crushing Christmas dreams officially, but rather for creating a disturbance by being drunk and breach of probation. Still the message was clear. A rep from the police there, Const. Steve Koopman, said: “It was pretty despicable that someone, during this time of the year, would tell kids Santa isn’t real — which of course we would argue."

Despicable indeed. I have no delusions that we can keep our children in bubbles forever, but there are just some places strangers should never go.

A friend once told me that she will never waiver from her message to her children, "If you don't believe, you don't receive," even when they're grown. I've adopted that philosophy as well and see no reason to ever tell them any differently if they're 4 or 40. Other parents approach it differently, and that's fine, but as far as I'm concerned there's too little magic in the world as it is.

While you can't stop kids from telling each other what they think they know (and yes, I am still pissed at a certain boy from second grade who tried to dash my son's dreams, but failed), it's different when it comes from adults who should know better. It's just mean, plain and simple.

So I love that this guy got arrested. And I hope he knows that he's going to have to work really hard if he has any chances of getting off the naughty list. There's going to be coal in his stocking for a long time to come!

Do you think he got what he deserved?

by on Nov. 26, 2012 at 3:24 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
copperswifey
by on Nov. 26, 2012 at 11:26 PM

He does sound like a total jerk. I'm not sure if  he have gotten arrested though. It's sad when people just can't let other people be happy. They have to go and try to ruin it for everyone. :(

Lordgodempress
by on Nov. 26, 2012 at 11:29 PM

He got what he deserved for being drunk and beligerent but technically he told the kids the truth.    My kids all believed in Santa but I wouldnt want someone going to jail for telling them otherwise.  I mean just a question,  but would he have gone to jail for telling them Jesus wasn't real?     Again, being publicly intoxicated was a good enough reason for him to go to jail

.Angelica.
by on Nov. 26, 2012 at 11:50 PM
1 mom liked this

I may be in the minority here, but I don't think it was really that big of a deal for him to say santa wasn't real. Now the being drunk in public, yeah, that was wrong. I've told my son before that santa is make believe, he still chooses to believe even though I've never told him to. not a big deal honestly.

4kidz916
by on Nov. 27, 2012 at 8:32 AM

What a jerk.  

johnny4ever
by on Nov. 27, 2012 at 9:19 AM

shrugging

terri76
by on Nov. 27, 2012 at 11:06 AM
Well i guess he got was coming since he was drunk in public..not because he said santa was not real. I hear people say it every year. It is what your children choose to believe. That is what matters
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
sukainah
by on Nov. 27, 2012 at 11:06 AM

He's a meany, but maybe he shouldn't have been arrested

slw123
by on Nov. 27, 2012 at 1:05 PM

Yeah, he got what he deserved.  If he doesn't want to indulge in the magic of Christmas,he had no business being at that parade.  Which means he only went to cause trouble.

RobynS
by on Nov. 27, 2012 at 1:37 PM

It certainly isn't someone else's place to tell YOUR children. Santa Claus IS real, or at least he WAS. And his spirit lives on and that is VERY real.

bellawomen
by on Nov. 27, 2012 at 1:57 PM

He got arrested and charged properly.  Children finding out Santa isn't real is not the worst thing in the world.  I think people overreact.  There is nothing magically about Santa, there is magic in children enjoying giving to those in need.  I like the fact that we don't do Santa and from a very young age of 2 my son has enjoyed giving away toys and items to children in need.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)