Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Parenting Positive Kids Parenting Positive Kids

Letters to Santa

Posted by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 12:00 AM
  • 42 Replies
1 mom liked this

Every year, my kids write their letters to Santa. I decided a few years ago that we would attempt to cut the blatant begging down, and they've been told to keep their lists to five things - One Want, One Need, One Wear, One Read - and then one thing that they really would love. It works well for them; it forces them to really pare down what they might as for, and helps me to be sure to purchase exactly what they might most enjoy as well as use.

Now that my kids are older - I have teens and tweens and one adult child - I bitterly regret all those years when I overbought. Especially when they were babies, my kids really could not have cared less about loads of presents. They were happy with one or two things. As my children have gotten older, their requests have gotten more expensive. I've dubbed this the "year of electronics" - from iPods to tablets and GPS systems, each of my kids has requested an electronic item.

Well, except for the child that really, really wants a new trombone.

I've saved many of the letters to Santa that my children have written, and I treasure them all - the misspelled words, the grandiose ideas, the covert bribery and the list of treats prepared for the Big Man. I've used those letters to remind people to behave, Santa's watching! I've saved them and it's fun to watch a child grow from a tentative scribble to a full fledged I want a new car with a bangin' stereo.

I long for the days of GI Joe. He was a cheaper, easier purchase that didn't come with quite so many responsibilities. This year I'll try to find the items listed, but I can already tell that Santa is going to have a tough time locating the baby dolls that eat and poop that my littlest girls have requested.

What’s the hot new item that’s caught the eye of your children? Do they drop subtle hints or are they pretty upfront about it?

©iStockphoto.com/KirbusEdvard

by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
johnny4ever
by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 7:23 AM

Lego Set!He lets me know!

MichelleK41
by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 7:52 AM

She drops huge hints by saying loudly, *I want that!* LOL!

4kidz916
by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 8:05 AM
My kids have always been up front about what they want.
chrissysnow22
by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 8:16 AM
My son is 2 everything catches his eye including the plunger in the bathroom that he swears is his microphone
cara124
by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 9:04 AM

the list goes like this .... DD 17 New used car ( she just got her license last week ) DD 15 a new smart phone . DS 11 the new skylanders video game ..... LOL and i'm told if " SANTA" brings these things they will be happy with only 1 gift this year ..... LOL makes me laugh ! ....... Yes we write letters to Santa every year and will continue to do so for years to come .....

natesmom1228
by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 9:05 AM
He wants more Skylanders. He is very verbal about what he wants.
elasmimi
by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 9:09 AM
My 6 y/o wants everything she sees advertised on tv. She is actually getting a Kindle Fire, so she will leave my i pad alone.
arpazia
by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 9:10 AM
Sky landers giants, he has all the skylanders and now he "needs" all the giants. Lol he's upfront about it!
He has a ton of faith in Santa, he has already cleared a shelf for them!
Lmao
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
goddess99
by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 9:46 AM

If my dd sees something she wants everyone hears about it. This year it's a stereo system and Monster High stuff.

GwenMB
by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 10:07 AM

My boys love to bring the toy catalogue over & point out everything they want - which is just about everything. lol  At least, everything Imaginext that they don't already have!  Plus, every commercial that comes on.

At least, they do also see the commercial for sending money for food to the people of Isreal & also tell me we need to do that.  (They will often say "lets send them the food we don't like" though.)

I had my boys write letters to Santa the other day.  The 5.5 yo just wrote "we can't wait until Christmas" & then drew a picture.  The 4 yo just drew a picture.  For some reason, sending him a list didn't occur to either boy.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN