Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Parenting Positive Kids Parenting Positive Kids

3-Year-Old Saves His Mom's Life by Making His First Phone Call Ever - Does your toddler or preschooler know how to use a cellphone or computer?

Posted by on Dec. 8, 2012 at 11:15 AM
  • 19 Replies

3-Year-Old Saves His Mom's Life by Making His First Phone Call Ever

Posted by Adriana Velez on December 7, 2012

cell phoneIn case of emergency, would your preschooler know what to do? One 3-year-old saved his mother's life with one key phone call on her BlackBerry. Cally Wooton had gone into a diabetic seizure when her son, Aaron Green, found her unconscious on the floor. He had never used her cellphone before, but somehow he managed to unlock it, scroll through the address book, and choose his grandmother's phone number.

Aaron's grandmother immediately raced to their home and called emergency. Cally ended up in a coma for five days, but she lived! She's recovering now, very much alive, and grateful for her quick-thinking son.

Cally jokingly says Aaron must have picked up how to use the phone from watching his mother "nattering" on the phone all the time. But that makes a lot of sense -- that's how kids learn how to do pretty much everything else, right? By watching us.

There have been times when I've become aware of exactly how closely my son watches me, and how much he picks up. It takes my breath away every time. 

This generation of kids is turning out to be incredibly tech savvy. You've heard the phrase "digital native," right? They're surrounded by so many gadgets it's like they're picking up how to use them almost like they're picking up on language.

Still, I'm impressed with Aaron. So was his teacher -- his preschool gave him a badge for bravery. But I'm sure no praise or award compares with just having his mother well and with him.

Does your toddler or preschooler know how to use a cellphone or computer?

by on Dec. 8, 2012 at 11:15 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Barronbaby
by on Dec. 8, 2012 at 11:18 AM
the toddler does not... but my preschooler and school aged child both know how to use a cell and we have photos on all the contacts so they can find the right one in the event of an emergency.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
supermeof3
by on Dec. 8, 2012 at 1:34 PM

That's a good idea to put photos!

Quoting Barronbaby:

the toddler does not... but my preschooler and school aged child both know how to use a cell and we have photos on all the contacts so they can find the right one in the event of an emergency.

supermeof3
by on Dec. 8, 2012 at 1:34 PM

My kids are 9,7,6 and 2 1/2  --  My girls do know, but my little guy does not (yet)

mysticalmalissa
by Gold Member on Dec. 9, 2012 at 7:36 AM

Yes he nows how to use his cell phone.

acrogodess
by on Dec. 9, 2012 at 7:41 AM
Mine knew how to make calls back when they were toddlers, but that was before smartphones. 911 was one of the first numbers I taught them and luckily they have never needed it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
johnny4ever
Great time at Marblehead!
Yesterday at 9:20 AM
by on Dec. 9, 2012 at 10:38 AM

son is 9

terri76
by on Dec. 9, 2012 at 11:58 AM
Well my son is 16 now..so yes he knows lol...but seriously at the age of 2 my parents and i taught him how to dial 911 in the event of an emergency
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
AzariahsMother
by on Dec. 9, 2012 at 2:12 PM

Don't have a toddler or preschooler.

ZakkarysMom
by on Dec. 9, 2012 at 3:41 PM
No he doesnt. I should teach him how to though. I always worry about something happening to me and no one knowing until its too late. Its just me, my 3 yr old, and my 1 yr old.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mrswillie
by on Dec. 10, 2012 at 7:57 AM

My grandkids do.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)