Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Parenting Positive Kids Parenting Positive Kids

When I was a small child, my mother came up with a great idea to help us all have more of the Christmas spirit. She bought us each miniature Christmas trees for our bedrooms. I often wonder if she had an ulterior motive, in that we were all more interested in decorating our own tree, and we left the big tree alone, but she's never answered that question for me. Regardless, we each had our own tree, and we each had our own very small box of ornaments. Every year, she would buy us an ornament to symbolize the past year. I was a pre professional ballet student, and so many of my ornaments have a ballet motif. The year that I began musical theater, she bought me an ornament to symbolize this. The year I got my drivers license my ornament was a car. She's kept this tradition all along, buying me an ornament each year. It's a tradition that I look forward to, and I've kept it going for myself.

When I moved out on my own, it was comforting to have my tree and a well established set of ornaments to decorate that reminded me of home. When we first married, we got an ornament to symbolize that. The first Christmas with our first child is symbolized by a yawning woman in a bathrobe holding a baby. This past year, I went to the Harley-Davidson school, and learned to drive a motorcycle. So this years ornament was, I'm sure you can guess, Harley-Davidson related.

In looking at my tree, I can look back and remember many many things from my life. There are coffee cup ornaments, football team ornaments, and ornaments that I bought for no other reason than that they were beautiful and spoke to me at that particular time in my life.

Several years ago, I bought small trees for my children's rooms. My children who are teenagers now haven't bothered to put their tree up this year, but I know they'll come back to it. Each of my children has their own box of ornaments, and they symbolize events in their lives as well. It's super fun to open the ornament boxes with them, and talk about the things that have occurred for them. The year my daughter went to occupational therapy, she got an ornament that looked like one of the toys that she finally mastered. It's a tradition that I hope and pray my children will remember their whole lives, and start with their own children.

It may be a silly, small thing, but to me, the Christmas tree is one of the best representations of our time together as a family.

What is your favorite Christmas tree ornament?

ŠiStockphoto.com/MariaPavlova

by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Replies (31-37):
Meltopia529
by on Dec. 14, 2012 at 10:21 AM
I have several
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
lovingmybabes5
by on Dec. 15, 2012 at 2:52 PM

Thats wonderfull i love this idea. 

mrswillie
by Silver Member on Dec. 16, 2012 at 11:16 AM
A kiss my son made in ore k
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
terri76
by Terriny on Dec. 16, 2012 at 12:05 PM
All my tinkerbell ornaments :-)
Meltopia529
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 8:44 PM
We just made a hand print santa salt dough ordament.
mazuka
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 11:09 PM

I have a ton of turtle ornaments but my fave is probably the tiny rowing turtle I have.  No particular reason other than how small it is and it is a turtle.  the turtle dove is cute too...it is a mouse with turtle doves on it's arms.

Bluetick
by on Dec. 19, 2012 at 12:33 AM
My brand new 1 year anniversary ornament
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)