Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Parenting Positive Kids Parenting Positive Kids

How to avoid holiday weight gain

Posted by on Dec. 10, 2012 at 10:28 AM
  • 9 Replies

How to Avoid Holiday Weight Gain (And Still Have Fun!)

Posted by Aunt Becky
on December 9, 2012 at 11:35 AM

If there's one thing to be said about the holidays, it's that EVERYTHING is in excess.

From tinny Christmas music and festive banners at the stores to the scads of holiday parties we're all invited to -- and, of course, who can forget the food? Loads of cookies, candies, and treats as far as the eye can see. It's easy to get sucked into the mindset to eat all you want because "the holidays come once a year," but that's a great way to ruin your diet.

So here are some tips for avoiding putting on the holiday pounds while STILL having a good time!

1) The first rule of thumb when attending any party that features one or two courses, usually appetizers and desserts, is to eat your dinner before you arrive. That way, you're not chasing down the server with those delicious meatballs on a stick that are loaded with all kinds of unhealthy (yet delicious) ingredients.

2) Stick with the veggie plate. Most parties that have appetizers offer one. It may look a little pathetic in the middle of all those mini stuffed hot dogs, but that's where you should get the bulk of your dinner (if eating ahead isn't an option).

3) If your party lacks a fruit or veggie option, load up on water during the party. It helps you feel fuller and less likely to chow down when you're saving those calories for some cookies.

4) Avoid telling yourself that it's okay to overeat because "the holidays come once a year." That's a surefire way to end up a size bigger. Plan ahead accordingly and give yourself a little - not a lot - of leeway when it comes to holiday goodies.

5) If you're going to a pot-luck gathering, cook a dish that's low in calories and big on taste so that you're certain you have something to eat that's loaded with fat.

6) Pretend that your weekly calorie intake is like your checkbook. If you splurge one day, you're broke for the rest of the week. Same goes for food - if you're going to have one really amazing meal, make sure that the rest of the week, you stick to eating healthily.

7) While it's important to be conscious of what you're putting into your body, do allow yourself to indulge a little. If you eat veggies and water for "dinner," have a cookie! Or if you prefer savory, dig into the appetizers and ditch the baked goods!

8) And if you go overboard with the delicious holiday treats? Remember that it happens. To everyone. Don't beat yourself up over it! Just use it as an opportunity to do better next time.

What are some of the ways YOU handle dieting during the holidays?

by on Dec. 10, 2012 at 10:28 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
hunterskysmom
by on Dec. 10, 2012 at 10:35 AM
I am enjoing my hoilday suppers
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
mrsjonzy
by on Dec. 10, 2012 at 10:39 AM

It's not the holidays that make you fat, it's the other 11 months of the year. I've worked out and eaten whatever I want this season and gained nothing. I haven't been stuffing my face, but im not denying myself anything I want. On top of that I'm pregnant and don't have good genes. It's not the holidays, the parties or this month, it's how you eat on the other days. 

.Angelica.
by on Dec. 10, 2012 at 10:51 AM

i don't diet. lol. but we are eating gluten free this year so that really cuts down on what we can and can't eat.

Meltopia529
by on Dec. 10, 2012 at 2:16 PM
I eat what I want for the holidays
Bluetick
by on Dec. 10, 2012 at 4:56 PM
I'm taking the "I can enjoy things with out the fat" approach for example instead of cheesecake (700 calories) I will have fruit with cheesecake dip or turkey and (stuffing) ok there really isn't a substitute for stuffing but you get my drift ;)
Bluetick
by on Dec. 10, 2012 at 4:57 PM
Remember every time you want a cookie just do 25 sit ups lol
GwenMB
by on Dec. 10, 2012 at 8:58 PM

Being gluten free, I do many of these tips. I often bring my own dish (although its not always low fat/low calorie). Since I can't usually eat the cookie/treat trays I do stick to the veggie/fruit trays.

Otherwise, unfortunately, I tend to just wish I could lose weight. :(

sweetlyblissful
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 2:11 PM
I can't, so I exercise more. lol
AzariahsMother
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 7:27 PM

tfs

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)