Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Parenting Positive Kids Parenting Positive Kids

Sandy Hooks Elem

Posted by on Dec. 15, 2012 at 3:55 PM
  • 18 Replies
My heart goes out to them I can't imagine the pain these poor families are going through!
Your thoughts ?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Dec. 15, 2012 at 3:55 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Bluetick
by on Dec. 15, 2012 at 3:57 PM
I really wished the children wasn't plastered all over the media and forced to relive the moments
missamanda86
by on Dec. 15, 2012 at 3:59 PM
2 moms liked this

Im devastated...I cant even imagine. I hate how the media glorifies these killers. 

I saw brilliant words from Morgan Freeman about this on FB today: 

TURN OFF THE NEWS.......

Morgan Freeman's brilliant take on what happened yesterday :

"You want to know why. This may sound cynical, but here's why.

It's because of the way the media reports it. Flip on the news and watch how we treat the Batman theater shooter and the Oregon mall shooter like celebrities. Dylan Klebold and Eric Harris are household names, but do you know the name of a single *victim* of Columbine? Disturbed people who would otherwise just off themselves in their basements see the news and want to top it by doing something worse, and going out in a memorable way. Why a grade school? Why children? Because he'll be remembered as a horrible monster, instead of a sad nobody.

CNN's article says that if the body count "holds up", this will rank as the second deadliest shooting behind Virginia Tech, as if statistics somehow make one shooting worse than another. Then they post a video interview of third-graders for all the details of what they saw and heard while the shootings were happening. Fox News has plastered the killer's face on all their reports for hours. Any articles or news stories yet that focus on the victims and ignore the killer's identity? None that I've seen yet. Because they don't sell. So congratulations, sensationalist media, you've just lit the fire for someone to top this and knock off a day care center or a maternity ward next.

You can help by forgetting you ever read this man's name, and remembering the name of at least one victim. You can help by donating to mental health research instead of pointing to gun control as the problem. You can help by turning off the news."
Bluetick
by on Dec. 15, 2012 at 4:00 PM
Agree
johnny4ever
by on Dec. 15, 2012 at 4:57 PM

It is sad but we have decided the tv coverage is a bit overwelming.

mrswillie
by on Dec. 16, 2012 at 11:08 AM
So sad
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
terri76
by on Dec. 16, 2012 at 1:08 PM
Very sad and heartbreaking..i can not watch it anymore
baquick
by on Dec. 16, 2012 at 1:09 PM
I haven't even turned on a local tv station or news station since Friday bee stick to Netflix for now. Too much coverage :-/ it's overwhelming.
hunterskysmom
by on Dec. 16, 2012 at 1:50 PM
Its sad and i havent even turned it to the news of any kind
Bluetick
by on Dec. 16, 2012 at 3:50 PM
I wish whomever is calling in bomb threats and writing on the vigil signs gets caught
AzariahsMother
by on Dec. 16, 2012 at 8:05 PM

Very sad.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN