Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Parenting Positive Kids Parenting Positive Kids

Year in Review

Posted by on Dec. 19, 2012 at 12:00 AM
  • 42 Replies
3 moms liked this

Have you ever written a holiday letter? I used to do one for several years, but it began to feel as if I was bragging. After all, everyone only tells the good stuff in your yearly review letter. It just felt weird to me, and so I decided to stop sending that letter. That doesn't mean, though, that I don't love reading other peoples year in review letters. My favorites are the slightly snarky ones, the ones that tell life as it really is. It's funny to read that my friends teenage son has finally mastered the art of putting clothes into the laundry basket, and that a daughter learn to ride a horse, and no longer needs to be walked.

I suppose I'm cynical though, because most people love to write and receive holiday letters. There is something to be said for getting to know what happened with your favorite  families. We are all so spread apart, and even with the proliferation of the internet, we may not take the time to really know what is going on in our friends' lives.

More than an opportunity to let others know what has going on in your life, the holiday letter is an ideal opportunity to for you to reflect on your own family. Writing a holiday letter affords you the opportunity to reflect on the year past, and think about what truly matters. Sure, you may have taken them to Disney World, and that's a great memory. But you might be surprised to know that the family trip to the beach ranks just as high.

If you were to write a year in review letter, what memories do you hold close that you'd love to share with your loved ones? What have you and your children accomplished this year? Is there one moment that would typify the entire year for you?

ŠiStockphoto.com/monkeybusinessimages

by on Dec. 19, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Bluetick
by on Dec. 19, 2012 at 12:30 AM
2 moms liked this
My daughter won the county science fair
My daughter also won multiple compitions with her dogs hunting and showing+ got her pic in a few magazines
Me and my dh started our own bussiness
Dh has finally got in the top standings with his dog
We have successfully not lost 1 farm animal this year
We finally bought a vehicle out right
Burned our mortgage
And last but not least everyone has made peace w one another and now get along :)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
elasmimi
by on Dec. 19, 2012 at 7:15 AM

Not a good year for us; dh had a stroke and had to retire, lost my oldest daughter, financial difficulties....I would have a hard time writing a cheerful letter. But 2013 will be better, I'm sure.

MichelleK41
by on Dec. 19, 2012 at 7:18 AM

Buying a house would be a topper on the list for us.

GwenMB
by on Dec. 19, 2012 at 7:42 AM

I love the slightly snarky letters as well. There is one I'm looking forward to getting still this year from a family w 2 boys about 10 years older than mine. It's a sneak peek into my future. Lol the husband writes it & I love the things he says -like 'ds is doing well in school because his mom beats him like a rented mule to get homework done'.

My picture card was a year in review for us. I had a pic from each boys bday, one from our vacation & one from their first day of school (ds#1 started k, #2 started preschool).

4kidz916
by on Dec. 19, 2012 at 7:45 AM

Nothing really stands out this year.  Just thankful we all made it through.

4kidz916
by on Dec. 19, 2012 at 7:46 AM

I love the idea of the year in review with pics. 

Quoting GwenMB:

I love the slightly snarky letters as well. There is one I'm looking forward to getting still this year from a family w 2 boys about 10 years older than mine. It's a sneak peek into my future. Lol the husband writes it & I love the things he says -like 'ds is doing well in school because his mom beats him like a rented mule to get homework done'.

My picture card was a year in review for us. I had a pic from each boys bday, one from our vacation & one from their first day of school (ds#1 started k, #2 started preschool).

mrswillie
by on Dec. 19, 2012 at 7:49 AM
Seeing my grandson in Mn for the first time. The birth of our 4th grandson. 2 1/2 week family road trip. Flying for the first time after 9/11
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mama_Laken
by on Dec. 19, 2012 at 8:07 AM

This year has been chuck-full of re-learning to love. All the relationships in my life have been rocky, but through self-reflection and long, open conversations...I feel like I am steadily becoming a better, newer me. It's been a very rough year. There has been a longing need to understand those around me and it has been incredibly humbling.

We all definitely became more wise in our experiences with the big, bad world...and a little more of that innocence has been lost with every new hurt. I have learned the true meaning of "need" this year. We had the worst run of luck that brought us to such a low where we were eating like kings if we had a can of beans nearby. I had to ask people for help. REAL help. We learned of the shady side of life and how some people don't care who you are, but will try to take everything away from you for little to nothing. It was a dark awakening, to say the least, but we are battling to get back on our feet after being kicked down.

The other highlight of this year has been the birth of my dear daughter. Motherhood has awoken inside me a brighter, more loving and caring me. There is no feeling to compare to a Mother's Love. It is the biggest journey of my life, and although there are struggles, and maybe even bad days--even in those moments, I feel so incredibly blessed and my heart is constantly full of this cozy, toasty, giddy, and loving feeling. <3

cara124
by on Dec. 19, 2012 at 8:41 AM

I also love the year in review done in pics.. Its a way to say look at what we did this year .... with out saying look at what we did this year LOL .

Quoting 4kidz916:

I love the idea of the year in review with pics. 

Quoting GwenMB:

cara124
by on Dec. 19, 2012 at 8:45 AM
1 mom liked this

I think this years letter would be all positive ...

DS 11 Started Middle school and is doing well

DD 15 Started High School and is doing way better than we expected .

DD 17 is in her last year of High School and we done some positive College tours

I stated a new job for the County ( love it )

DD 17 Got her Drivers License .

I'm sure there is more about the year but this would be the jist of it .

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)