Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Parenting Positive Kids Parenting Positive Kids

Parenting High Needs Children?

Posted by on Dec. 19, 2012 at 1:08 AM
  • 10 Replies

Both of my boys (3 years and 8 months) are high needs. My older son...omg theres just no describing it. And my baby is acting exactly the same as my older one did as a baby. Its not 'just a baby thing' at all. Its the baby thing to the extreme. And Im not sure how to cope, so any ideas, suggestions, and advice would be GREATLY appreciated!

Edited to explain better: 

Ok let me try to describe them lol. My baby is CONSTANTLY wanting attention, having to be in motion. Now he hasnt started crawling yet, but he never sits still. Now I know while that sounds normal, I really dont think he is. I cant get anything done when he's awake, and naps are almost non existent. He is in the separation anxiety stage, but even he's taken that to the max. I cant walk even out of eye shot without him starting to scream! He wants to eat constantly, and not just for food. Ive gotten to where when he nurses, and just wants to have the boob in his mouth to play, I take it away. Hes constantly having to be touched, held, like he HAS to have your undivided attention all the time. There's no schedule with him, no matter what I do, his nursing sessions will last at a maximum 5 minutes, and in an hour will nurse 10 times sometimes. He is on solids, so he gets solids 3 times a day, and some days when I get frustrated with him wanting to nurse just to play, I will make him a bottle.  This link my friend sent me, describes my LO to a 'T'. Maybe that will help explain him a little better:

http://www.askdrsears.com/topics/fussy-baby/high-need-baby/12-features-high-need-baby

Now as for my older son,he displays many of those same things, just in a bigger version. Along with TERRIBLE tantrums, and he's very challenging, maybe. I cant do any one thing with him one day, and it work the next day. He has the attention span of a goldfish, which I know is pretty much normal for toddlers, but it just seems the boys act so similar to each other, and so different from my DD (5), that Im just not sure how to deal with it. 

by on Dec. 19, 2012 at 1:08 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mrswillie
by on Dec. 19, 2012 at 7:57 AM
Can you be more specific?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lillybug222
by on Dec. 19, 2012 at 8:58 AM

Quoting mrswillie:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SabrinaLC
by on Dec. 19, 2012 at 10:11 AM

yes! specifics would be helpful :-)

Quoting mrswillie:

***Sabrina *~* wife to Matt  8/6/05*~*Mommy to Isaac 7/25/06, *~*Liam 7/30/08, *~* and Eban 6/24/10***

sweetlyblissful
by on Dec. 19, 2012 at 10:18 AM
Good luck!!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
missamanda86
by on Dec. 19, 2012 at 10:28 AM
Let me get up and get in my computer and I'll try to explain better
missamanda86
by on Dec. 19, 2012 at 10:58 AM

Bump! Edited

sweetlyblissful
by on Dec. 19, 2012 at 7:07 PM
Out of my 3 kids, 2 of them are this way. I just do what I can around the house when they sleep and leave what I don't have time to finish. Pick your battles, stay firm on the things you think are important. All you can do is try your best. Be patient and love them for who they are. Those are difficult ages for most.
mrswillie
by on Dec. 20, 2012 at 7:21 AM
My grandson was feeding that way from the start. The doctor said use formula along with breasted milk. It is up to you to get them on a schedule.
With the other, consistsncy is key. Just because something works one day and not the next, keep doing it. In the long run it may work if you are consistant.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Meltopia529
by on Dec. 21, 2012 at 9:35 AM
Good luck
Bluetick
by on Dec. 21, 2012 at 1:42 PM
Hugs :)
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)