Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Parenting Positive Kids Parenting Positive Kids
we just upgraded our satellite tv. Dh had directtv since he bought his house. 10yrs ago. So we only had satellite in den and master bedroom. It was the old outdated receivers where you couldn't get hd or some channels we were actually paying for. We got frustrated and canceled service because they expected us to pay for all new equipment and installation and full price service even if we signed a new contract. After about 8 months we kept researching and found out if we put my name on new service we could get all the new customer deals. Which included 4 room system. So we chose to connect the kids tv's to satellite also. The girls are almost 9 and 7 and boys are 10months and 6. I honestly thought i would be having to tell them to do something else besides watch tv but they are still doing other things more than watching. When it's not raining they ask.to go outside or they have played their new board games or other new Christmas presents. And read books on.their own. I also thought the girls would be fighting over what to watch but they have not had obdurate argument. And being able to pause live tv has helped me get them to do a quick chore or something without waiting. They also keeping their rooms cleaned better because they know the receiver will be taken out.

People argue about whether tv in rooms are bad but i don't think its bad for all families. It also gives me much needed breaks some evenings. Do your kids have tv in their room?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Dec. 28, 2012 at 8:17 PM
Replies (31-36):
bellygirl
by on Dec. 29, 2012 at 10:43 PM

No, I don't believe it kids having tv's in their rooms.  I read a medical review about the effects of sleep habits and tv's in bedrooms.  Kids have a much harder time falling asleep when they have tv's in their rooms.  You train you brain to want to sleep when you get in your bed. When you put a tv in the bedroom, it disrupts the sleep pattern.   Well, and that fact that it promotes laziness and isolation. 

lalasmama2007
by Ticia on Dec. 29, 2012 at 10:50 PM

No, we don't even have a tv in the master bedroom at the moment.

pipers_mom
by on Dec. 29, 2012 at 10:57 PM
They have tvs but they don't get channels, they can watch dvds.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
.Angelica.
by on Dec. 29, 2012 at 11:12 PM
No they dont. Im not against it but my kids are little and I dont even have a tv in mine
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
luvhubandbabys
by on Dec. 30, 2012 at 7:29 AM
Yes only for their disney movies. No cable or anything. When we move and have a den or play room the vcr will go in there...we just don't have room for it right now.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SabrinaLC
by on Dec. 30, 2012 at 9:24 AM

My children don't have a tv in their rooms.  We only have 2 tv's, one in the livingroom and one in the playroom.

I don't think a tv is necesary in a bedroom.  But that's only my opinion.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)