Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Parenting Positive Kids Parenting Positive Kids

i need help ladies...

Posted by on Jan. 5, 2013 at 4:24 PM
  • 12 Replies
1 mom liked this

how can i get my 5 year old.. who will be 6 next month.. to stop sucking his thumb?? ive tried everything i can think of.. and in the end.. nothing is working.. and we both end up frustrated... :(  

myspace layouts, myspace codes, glitter graphics

by on Jan. 5, 2013 at 4:24 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
KaylaMillar
by on Jan. 6, 2013 at 11:51 AM
1 mom liked this

bump. Neither one of my kids sucked their thumb. 

sweetlyblissful
by on Jan. 6, 2013 at 4:42 PM
My aunt put pepper on my thumb and told me to try it. It worked, but I hated pepper for years.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
terri76
by on Jan. 6, 2013 at 10:09 PM

Yikes that is a hard one..My brother was a thumb sucker..my mom used white vinegar..it worked but he still hates it!!! I am not sure i would go that route..so here is a bump hun!! Good Luck

Outrageous
by on Jan. 6, 2013 at 11:54 PM
1 mom liked this
hhmmm .. I have not had this problem but .... is there a time you notice he sucks his thumb? Does he do it when he is bored? scared? tired?? maybe he does it for comfort. If he is physically doing something, does he still have his thumb in this mouth? like walking, skateboarding, playing blocks, etc?? If you can't figure that out, then try another approach... Maybe you should just be honest with him and tell him that he is getting bigger and that it is unsanitary for him to have saliva on his fingers... tell him that other kids touch the things he does and that it could pass germs... idk ... puzzling.. but maybe he finds comfort .. tell him you will give him a lollipop a day if he can keep his thumb out of his mouth ...
Bluetick
by on Jan. 7, 2013 at 12:53 AM
1 mom liked this
Paint his thumbs with a product called thumbsit or close to that spelling it's edible but taste absolutely horrible! My SIL painted her dd's pacifier with it ---2 days later no pacifier !!!!! Works great
hunterskysmom
by on Jan. 7, 2013 at 5:53 AM
1 mom liked this
Here is a bump neither one of my kids sucked thier thumbs
Aubreys_mommie
by on Jan. 7, 2013 at 7:01 AM
1 mom liked this

he sucks his thumb at bedtime only.. and i think i may have finally hit the target on the head..night #2 in a row no thumb sucking!! :D i told him that he will be six soon, and that means he is officially a BIG boy.. and big boys get to play on mommy and Tom's ps3 (Tom is my s.o. .... and batman is a big deal in this household.. lol).. and he got rewarded last night before bed with an hour of batman on the ps3... so i think the big boy incentives are working! 

Quoting Outrageous:

hhmmm .. I have not had this problem but .... is there a time you notice he sucks his thumb? Does he do it when he is bored? scared? tired?? maybe he does it for comfort. If he is physically doing something, does he still have his thumb in this mouth? like walking, skateboarding, playing blocks, etc?? If you can't figure that out, then try another approach... Maybe you should just be honest with him and tell him that he is getting bigger and that it is unsanitary for him to have saliva on his fingers... tell him that other kids touch the things he does and that it could pass germs... idk ... puzzling.. but maybe he finds comfort .. tell him you will give him a lollipop a day if he can keep his thumb out of his mouth ...

myspace layouts, myspace codes, glitter graphics

annelauer
by on Jan. 7, 2013 at 7:05 AM
If he's only doing it at bedtime, I'd leave it alone. Does it really matter? Anyway, glad you figured it out since it was bugging you.
SabrinaLC
by on Jan. 7, 2013 at 7:25 AM

I dont' know, I'm sorry.

My step brother sucked his thumb until he was 13

mrswillie
by on Jan. 7, 2013 at 10:20 AM

I have no idea. Sorry

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)