Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Parenting Positive Kids Parenting Positive Kids

HELP!!! My 5 yr old is VERY ungrateful!!

Posted by on Jan. 7, 2013 at 4:21 PM
  • 7 Replies
Im noticing lately that my 5 yo daughter is becoming extremely unappreciative!

Yesterday my grammy came n brought her presents that she didnt give her on Xmas and the whole time grammy was over my daughter was acting so nonchalant, like she owed her sumthing...and when grammy left and i asked her what the problem was, she said "i thought grammy had a lotta presents for me..."She had like 5 gifts for her!

Then today, she wanted Munchkins from dunkin donuts, and i got ten munchkins (i dont buy my kids junk as it is!) and i gave her a bag with five in it...me n my son were gunna share the other five...she opened her bag n was like "there's only FIVE in here!"

PLEASE!! I took all five of them from her! But i would really like suggestions as to what i should do to teach her how to appreciate things?! Have any of yu had this problem? wat did yu do? Keep in mind that she is only five! Thanx
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 7, 2013 at 4:21 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
AzariahsMother
by on Jan. 7, 2013 at 7:02 PM

I have no advice I am sorry.  My DD is 12 and is the same way.  Just last night we got into a fight and I took all her x-mas gifts away and told her she was going to have to pay to get them back. 

All I asked her to do was clean the 2 bathrooms and vacuum.  Would have taken her maybe 30mins or less and she got a BIG tood!  Then tells me "mom I just don't think I can do it"  WHAT!!! Ok, well I just don't think I want to buy you stuff anymore...ugh!

sweetlyblissful
by on Jan. 7, 2013 at 11:46 PM
My 7 year old DD hasn't seemed too grateful for everything she got over Christmas. :(
paris2lmp
by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 8:19 AM

I think you were right in taking away the munchkins.  I would add to that something to the effect of "5 munchkins aren't good enough for you? Then how about no munchkins at all?"  Even at 5 she will suddenly understand that 5 is better than 0. 

I have a 6 yr old and an 8 yr old.  We go through various stages like this, where my children feel like they are owed stuff.  I try to make sure they understand the difference between want and needs.  Remember, all you are required to do is feed, clothe, house and protect her from harm.  Everything else is a bonus.  Try taking away some of her privilages and show her that she has a lot to be greatful for!  Another thought is to expose her to people who really are less fortunate.  She is only 5 but if you had her pick out toys to donate to a local shelter and then made her hand deliver them, I bet it would still make an impression. 

Finally, when my kids were at their worst, I started a chores system.  They earned 10 cents for every chore they did and if they wanted ANYTHING extra, they had to buy it with their own allowance.  This included tv time (10 cents= 15 min), toys, treats, etc.  We aren't that strict about it anymore it only took a couple months for it to totally sink in!  

Good luck!

hunterskysmom
by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 10:04 AM
I have no advace my dd is only 2 so good luck
Meltopia529
by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 11:51 AM
My son is only two. Hope you get some advice
mrswillie
by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 7:20 PM

I'm no help. Sorry

Aishamusty
by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 2:58 AM

Don't relent you have to keep making her understand its important to be and sure gratitude in life if not I take back whatever was given to you because if you grow up with this attitude there is serious problem 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN