Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Parenting Positive Kids Parenting Positive Kids

help please

Posted by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 8:14 PM
  • 13 Replies

i am scared to be the boss. :( it is hard work. My husband takes over.. and i know it . becuase when i tell my son NO he looks at daddy and makes sure he should be listening.. What do i do? How can i fix this???  I know it will be very hard and a change for me.. But he is 4 almost 5 and really needs to start listening..

Dad is awesome with the disipline, son listens to him.. but i need to start doing my part. we are in it together.

by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 8:14 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JNLmomme09
by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 8:15 PM
Your dh has to show ds that you also mean boss
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
supermeof3
by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 9:31 PM

Believe in yourself.  ...and follow through!   I also wonder why you are afraid to "be the boss".   I think if you find out why, it may help you overcome it ;)

butterflycircle
by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 12:59 PM
1 mom liked this

I agree. You should Follow through. If you tell your son something and he looks to your husband your husband should maybe say "listen yo your mom, don't look at me" kind of thing. My kids listen to me over husband and I have to do this a lot. Last night my husband told our daughter to go up stairs and brush her teeth and she comes up stairs and starts talking to me and stuff I tell her ".. didn't your daddy tell you to do something?" and then she did it. 

Something I am working on doing more is praising my kids more. The more I praise them the more they listen to the things I tell them to do and the less I am getting upset over things too. I wish i could get my hubby to do this too. 

meliscool72
by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 1:04 PM

make sure your dh lets your son know you are also the boss, but that is not going to fix it, if you are already a push over, then you need to step it up a notch. You need to put your foot down and make sure he knows that you are not playing these games any longer

Aishamusty
by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 4:07 PM

True u most believe in yourself

Quoting supermeof3:

Believe in yourself.  ...and follow through!   I also wonder why you are afraid to "be the boss".   I think if you find out why, it may help you overcome it ;)

AzariahsMother
by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 7:24 PM

Believe and use a stern voice.  Have the face of mom mean business and no games are to be played.  Make sure that DH is also ready to back you up when needed.

Bluetick
by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 3:51 PM
You need to ask your child to do whatever when the child doesn't listen to you then punish him ( instead of asking your dh to ask him to do the task) the child needs to learn respect to you and to do what you ask of him
Meltopia529
by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 4:00 PM
Be firm
sweetlyblissful
by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 4:38 PM

My DD has her daddy wrapped around her little finger.  I'm the "mean one" around here. 

What makes it work is being on the same page as your spouse.  There needs to be consistancy in the discipline from both parents.

Good luck!

AndreinaCleary
by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 7:34 PM

You have to get down to his eye level and politely but firmly tell him no. Give him positive feedback when he does something good and when he does something wrong let him know its wrong and why while talking to him calmly but firmly. Tell your husband to let you be the boss for a while and if your son looks at his dad when you tell him something tell your husband to say "listen to mom, she makes the rules too" which will show him that not only are you in charge but dad is backing you up as well. If you work together he will learn to respect your authority more. It takes about a week for a child to get use to it but if done continuously and with no hesitation then it will work. Good luck

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)