Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Parenting Positive Kids Parenting Positive Kids

Safety in schools

Posted by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 7:30 AM
  • 7 Replies

Without making this a political debate, what are your ideas for keeping/making our schools safer?

Our school has a school liason at the sherriffs department. He travels between the 5 total schools in our county. 

Our school's doors are locked when school is in session. Guest can only enter through the front door after buzzing the office and identifing yourself.

I live in a town/community with a 0% feleony crime rate and a 0% violent crime rate.

by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 7:30 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
paris2lmp
by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 8:31 AM

The public schools also have a officer that patrols the area, and locks the doors during school hours.  Visitors can only enter through the door by the office.  I have recently questioned how well they actually follow their own proceedures though.  They are supposed to ask any one (other than a known parent) for id when picking up children from school.  And that person is supposed to have the parent either call or provide a written letter that gives that person consent to pick up the kids.  Also, any visitor is supposed to check in at the office before proceding to a classroom.  

Yesterday my mom picked up my kids.  I forgot to call the school to let them know.  She has never picked them up from school before, so they can't have recognized her.  They let her pick up both my boys without so much as batting an eyelash!  Didn't even ask her name!  Granted, my kids went running up to her yelling "GRAAANNNDDMMMAAAAA!!!!!!" (They were excited), but how was the school supposed to know that it was ok?  Who else would they allow to get my kids without so much as a question?  It worries me.

I think that a buzzer at the office would be a good plan.  A security guard maybe?  And stricter enforcement of their current policies definitely!  But overall, I don't think any plan is fool proof, so thats about as far as I would take it.

SabrinaLC
by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 9:50 AM

Well, at my sons school the doors are not locked.  There are two sets of doors, I always go through the first and straight to the left which is the office.  I'm not sure if the other doors are locked or not.

More recently I found out that the school is considering installing a buzzer system on their doors and having officers in the schools.

I don't know what can be done to make schools safer.  I personally feel that if someone wants in, they will get in.   I'd prefer it didn't get too crazy, I don't want my children going to what feels like a prison each day and I 'd prefer they didn't have to see armed guards.

johnny4ever
by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 4:18 PM

My sons school doors are always locked...you have to be beeped in but there is also a camera to see who you are.I would prefer a office enclosed with a big window in it myself.

Meltopia529
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 4:14 PM
Bump
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
terri76
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 10:15 PM
Well not really sure how to make it 100% safe..can it honestly be done?
Audreesmommy757
by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 11:04 AM

alot!!!..my cousin had someone check her kids out of school that wasnt on the list just to see how safe her kids school was...yup the school let the kids go wiht the person...no questions asked....

Bluetick
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 1:05 AM
I guess our kids are going to die.... Our school board and superintendent is absolutely useless ! They can't protect the children from each other and talk to our kids like dogs! They are so 1950 here it's just said they always act like everything is no big deal ! I even sued them last year for negligence and won! I hate our school system
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN