Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Parenting Positive Kids Parenting Positive Kids

One year sometimes angry outbursts and throws his sippy cup. What is normal for his age?

Posted by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 8:14 AM
  • 8 Replies

I am a new mom and I haven't been around enough young children to know what is normal behaviour so please don't judge me. My son will be one at the end of Jan. and he has started having little tamtrums especially when we are eating. If he wants something he will cry out and hit his hand on the table or though or push his sippy cup. We are working on please and thank you and he has started making "ssss" which I think is "please." He has also started gets angry at toys and inanimate objects. One day he was trying to push a laundry basket through the door and he started yelling at it when it wouldn't fit. I kinda not sure what I should do. He has similar outburst of happiness I guess, but what is reasonable to expect at his age and what are things I should do.

by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 8:14 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
Audreesmommy757
by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 9:29 AM
1 mom liked this

sounds normal to me..hes getting use to his surroundings and feelings..both my girls did that at that age...audree use to get mad at toys and yell(she didnt really talk well until she was 3) charlotte talks to well for her age and she still yells and gets angry..throws her food at times....hugs!..hopefully it gets better

ScrChk23
by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 9:44 AM
1 mom liked this

It is normal.  My little guy does the same thing.  He is 14 months.  Their anger is his way of expressing his frustration with the task.  He is using the fits as his way of communicating since he is unable to use words right now.

Audreesmommy757
by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 9:50 PM

bump

squeekers
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 1:13 AM

he's learning not everything goes his way, and he's frustrated. our DD when she was about that age & learning to crawl would bang her head down onto the floor. we had a marble entry way and we always had to be vigilant she would not crack her skull when she was mad on the tiles. we were *very* happy when that stage ended.

SabrinaLC
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 8:21 AM

Does he see stuff like that at home?  Do you or your sons father yell when you get upset?  Children learn from what they see.

My oldest was pretty good until I became pregnant with my second son.  Then he use to bang his head on the floor, ground, sidewalk, etc, whenever he became upset.  I mean, he didn't see that kind of thing.  The pediatrician said he was doing it for attention.

When your son does stuff like that just stay calm and ignore it for the most part.  Show him how he should try to react to frustration and hopefully his anger will calm a bit.

sweetlyblissful
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 8:15 PM
Sounds normal. I hope the throwing things stops soon for you!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
mrswillie
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 9:43 AM
It's normal.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mrswillie
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 9:44 AM
I would have been so worried.

Quoting squeekers:

he's learning not everything goes his way, and he's frustrated. our DD when she was about that age & learning to crawl would bang her head down onto the floor. we had a marble entry way and we always had to be vigilant she would not crack her skull when she was mad on the tiles. we were *very* happy when that stage ended.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN