Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Parenting Positive Kids Parenting Positive Kids

Where are the manners anymore?

Posted by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 7:29 AM
  • 13 Replies

Call me old fashioned, but I can't believe some of the manners, or shall I say, lack there of, I see when out and about at the stores, restaurants etc. What ever happen to taking your hat off at the dinner table? You don't know how many times I see kids and teens chewing gum like a cow, not to mention chewing their food with their mouth open and talking with food in their mouths. I taught these things to my child, and they are teaching theirs the same. If we walk in front of someone at the grocery store (while they are looking on the shelf) we say, "excuse me". To the cashier we say, "have a good day/weekend". When ordering at a restaurant, when asked our order, it's, "a diet coke, please".

My youngest are now teens. When we go out, they now noticce how many  people don't use manners. Do you teach your kids these things? What other manners are important to you?

by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 7:29 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
paris2lmp
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 8:11 AM

Its funny, but I didn't notice HOW bad it had gotten until a couple years ago when I started working at a local spa here in MT.  The owner has a base clientele of mostly older business people, and I kept hearing them talk about "kids now days.....".  At first I would giggle to myself and write it off as "old lady chat".  Then I started looking around and was AMAZED at how much truth they were observing!  I also teach my kids manners.  We don't tell each other to "shut up", they are asked nicely not to interupt when others (especially adults) are speaking, they chew with their mouths closed, they say "please", "thank you", and "excuse me".  My kids are younger so they need frequent reminders and encouragements still, but these are the basic principals in our house. 

I will NEVER forget watching one of my friends when we were kids (about 8) walk up to her dad and say "MOVE Bob, I want to sit there."  And he grumbled a bit and then MOVED!  I stood there waiting for her to get spanked, grounded, SOMETHING.  Nothing happened!  I was shocked then.....Now it seems like this is the NORMAL!  My behind would have been sore for a week AND I would have been working off my disrespect!

SabrinaLC
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 9:06 AM

Manners are important.

Rather than forcing them, we show them.  It always drives me crazy when someone forces their child to say please or thank you.  Be an example, you know?  lol

People are so preoccupied with other things that they're forgetting the basics of human contact.  :-/

I'm not perfect but I like to show respect.

johnny4ever
Having a great birthday!
Friday at 4:52 PM
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 9:11 AM

I have noticed how unmannerly some older folk have been in stores lately

mrswillie
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 9:40 AM

We never say "shut up" either and our kids were taught not to interupt. 

Quoting paris2lmp:

Its funny, but I didn't notice HOW bad it had gotten until a couple years ago when I started working at a local spa here in MT.  The owner has a base clientele of mostly older business people, and I kept hearing them talk about "kids now days.....".  At first I would giggle to myself and write it off as "old lady chat".  Then I started looking around and was AMAZED at how much truth they were observing!  I also teach my kids manners.  We don't tell each other to "shut up", they are asked nicely not to interupt when others (especially adults) are speaking, they chew with their mouths closed, they say "please", "thank you", and "excuse me".  My kids are younger so they need frequent reminders and encouragements still, but these are the basic principals in our house. 

I will NEVER forget watching one of my friends when we were kids (about 8) walk up to her dad and say "MOVE Bob, I want to sit there."  And he grumbled a bit and then MOVED!  I stood there waiting for her to get spanked, grounded, SOMETHING.  Nothing happened!  I was shocked then.....Now it seems like this is the NORMAL!  My behind would have been sore for a week AND I would have been working off my disrespect!

Meltopia529
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 4:51 PM
Yes, I am teaching my son manners
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
quercus
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 7:16 AM

I totally agree.

Quoting johnny4ever:

I have noticed how unmannerly some older folk have been in stores lately

SassyWildflower
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 9:49 AM
Manners are very important in our home.
People seem so surprised to hear my 5yr. Old saying ma'am and sir. Its actually kinda sad =/
Its not only the kids and teens anymore though, so many adults lack manners these days too. It's awful.
Life.Happens
by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 2:48 PM

It's upsetting to see how many people are surprised when my kids(2 & 4) say thank you to the waiter at a restaraunt, or thank you to the cashier at the checkout...They say thank you to everyone...I remember when my 4 year old said "Thank you...I love you for what you do" to the waitress at IHOP....lol :)

Bluetick
by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 4:30 PM
Honestly this is why my dd doesn't have friends allowed over ! They have 0 respect for me or my dh or our home!
mrswillie
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 7:47 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting SassyWildflower:

Manners are very important in our home.
People seem so surprised to hear my 5yr. Old saying ma'am and sir. Its actually kinda sad =/
Its not only the kids and teens anymore though, so many adults lack manners these days too. It's awful.

I have to agree. I have seen adults who don't use them either.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)