Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Parenting Positive Kids Parenting Positive Kids

I need a little, well, a lot of help...

Posted by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 9:55 AM
  • 8 Replies

I've been a Cafe member for a while now, but I've not posted or been actively involved for many months due to ongoing family issues. My husband has been very ill for a long time and is now trying to regain his health in a nursing home. His Dr. said that if he doesn't work harder to get a handle of his diabetes he only gives him 6 months to a year to live. We've been married for 33 years and he is my best friend. Due to his illness we have lost so much and I am under tremendous stress all the time. However, this is not what I am here for today. I have three amazing grandsons ages 10, 6 and 3. They are beautiful, funny and incredibly smart.  Their mom, my daughter, is an amazing woman. She is my hero and she makes me want to be a better person. Her oldest has been having some difficult issues, is seeing a therapist and is on medication. He has been diagnosed with ADHD, depression and abandonment isssues. More recently they are checking him for Thought Disorder - a very complicated and difficult illness. Now her youngest is being checked for possible low level autism and or Aspergers Syndrome. I have always been actively involved in their lives and babysit them while my daughter works, finished college and volunteers. Up until about a year and a half ago I was a pretty good grandma. Never spanked and barely raised my voice when problems arose. As I said I have been under tremendous stress and now have taken to yelling - a lot - when the two older boys are acting up and fighting - really fighting. This has only served to further complicate the situation. I am now trying to get myself in check in order to keep from doing more harm. I was wondering if any one else has had similar issues and could offer any advice to help me and ultimately my grandsons. I would also like to know - on a lighter note - if any one has suggestions for crafts and activites that would interest this diverse group of boys. I am on a limited budget but I have lots of craft supplies. I have found in the past that the women involved in Cafe Mom have been incredibly supportive and helpful so I am reaching out to you again instead of trying to do this all on my own which I am clearly not able to do. Thank you so much for taking the time to hear me out. Peace.

by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 9:55 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
Audreesmommy757
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 10:02 AM
1 mom liked this

Follow these directions and learn how to make a replica of an ant hill using the top of a plastic bottle and paper mache techniques.

• Age Guideline: 8 Years and Up
  • Time Required: 60+ minutes (Does not include drying time)

The above age and time guidelines are estimates. This project can be modified to suit other ages and may take more or less time depending on your circumstances.

Materials Needed:

Instructions:
Make sure you cover you work surface well. I usually set down newspaper first and then wax paper on top of the newspaper. This is a very messy project.

Cut the bottom off the soda pop bottle. Place the bottle in the center of the cardboard or paper plate and tape in place. Run strips of masking tape from the top of the bottle out towards the edge of the cardboard or paper plate to make it look like a hill.

Tear several newspaper pages into strips. You will want them 1-inch wide and about 6- to 8-inches long. Set them aside.

Use a large bowl to prepare your paper mache paste (Pick a recipe here). The paste will be sticky. I would suggest using a bowl that is easy to soak and clean (glass perhaps) or even a disposable bowl. You may want to keep a bowl of warm water nearby to dip your fingers in if they get too sticky.

Dip the newspaper strips into the glue. Run the newspaper through your fingers to squeeze off extra glue and lay them over the masking tape. Completely cover the masking tape, including where it is stuck to the cardboard or paper plate. Be careful to leave the hole in the top of the bottle open. Let the first layer dry. Add at least one or two more layers of paper mache to your ant hill. Allow each layer to dry completely before putting on the next layer.

Once your ant hill is dry, paint it brown or whatever other color you want. You can also sprinkle sand on the paint while it is wet to make it look more authentic! Add ants climbing up the side of the ant hill using pom-poms, paper, or whatever else you want!

Audreesmommy757
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 10:04 AM
1 mom liked this
Follow these free instructions, submitted by Cami, for making a cool basketball hoop craft that is a game you can play once it is done. Age Guideline: 8 Years and Up Time Required: 30 minutes (Does not include drying time) The above age and time guidelines are estimates. This project can be modified to suit other ages and may take more or less time depending on your circumstances. Materials Needed: Egg Carton Cup Craft Foam Masking Tape Straw Cardboard Hot Glue Gun and Glue Sticks Scissors Pom-Pom (approx 2.5 cm in diameter) Chenille Stem (optional) Instructions: "This is a mini version of the real game. My kids enjoyed having a craft that was interactive rather than simply being decorative." ~ Cami." These preparations can be done in advance for each kid or the kids can do it themselves: Cut out egg carton cups, one for each kid. Cut out cardboard rectangles (approx. 9 x 12cm), one for each kid. Now follow these steps to construct the basketball hoop: Poke a hole in the bottom of the egg cup and cut off the bottom (note: cut off a little further up so that the pompom will fit through). This is the basketball net. Cut a backboard out of craft foam. Tape the egg carton net to the front of the craft foam backboard and the straw to the back of the craft foam backboard. As an option, kids can wrap pipe cleaner around the straw before taping the straw on. I find that if the pipe cleaner is extended past the bottom end a bit, it helps in gluing the straw to the cardboard in the next step. Once the backboard, net and pole are assembled, they should make a small hole in the cardboard (you may want to help younger kids with this step). DO NOT make the hole go all the way through! We just want a dent. Put a generous dab of hot glue into the hole you just made, and put the unused end of the straw and end tips of the chenille stem into the glue. Again, This should be done for young kids. To test if the straw will stay, take the cardboard and GENTLY shake it. If needed, keep fighting with the hot glue. Once you've checked that it's sturdy, use a pompom to shoot hoops through the egg carton net! You can use a variety of miscellaneous craft supplies to decorate the hoop. For example, some kids glued feathers and gems on their backboard or decorated their cardboard bottom with markers. Some even took scrap foam to create boxes or stands to hold the ball (the orange ring that I made in the picture was copied off one of my kids).
Audreesmommy757
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 10:05 AM
1 mom liked this

Materials Needed:

• 1 yardstick with a hole in 1 end (you may have to drill it)
  • Spray paint or other paint in your choice of color
  • 6 Spring-type clothespins
  • Glue

Instructions:
Paint the yardstick and the clothespins, and let them dry.

Glue the clothespins evenly spaced onto the yardstick, 1 on each end and one in the middle. They should be parallel to the yard stick. Let dry completely.

Hang it onto the wall by placing the end with the hole over a hook or screw. Now you can keep hats organized. Just clip them on the yardstick, and they are out of the way.

Audreesmommy757
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 10:05 AM
1 mom liked this

hope some of these help!!!

kaiykah
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 10:11 AM

Thank you so much. I am looking forward to trying them.bow down

HippieMomma86
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 10:16 AM
1 mom liked this

I'm so sorry you're going through all of this.

One thing my kids (5) absolutely loved was making a volcano explode. It was really simple. I took a large baking dish and filled a cup with baking soda.. then with red play-doh I built a "volcano" around the glass. I had them pour vinegar into the top (so it goes into the cup) at the same time and when the chemical reaction happened, they were ecstatic!

kaiykah
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 10:32 AM

Thank you HippieMom! I can't wait to try it and with these boys - they are all boy - making something explode will certainly give them a thrill!bow down

Meltopia529
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 4:50 PM
1 mom liked this
My son loves to finger paint...he's 2
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN