Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Parenting Positive Kids Parenting Positive Kids

Q about Chore $

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 11:47 AM
  • 17 Replies

So DD will be 13 in May and so far when she does chores she does not get paid.  However, as of recent she has started to ask for a lot of little extra things like a hair clip, fake nails, lip gloss and etc.  Normally I would buy those things, but I kind of feel like she is at the point where she can make $ from her chores to buy those types of things. 

Guess would like to show her a little responsibility.

Do you think this is a good idea? if not why?

How would you price out each chore?

Any other thoughts or idea's would be helpful.

Thanks,

by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 11:47 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mysticalmalissa
by Gold Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 2:48 PM

I'm no help. I never paid the kids for normal daily living. So here is a bump.   =)

ivf_blessed
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 4:36 PM

Hi there - I know I'm wierd but this is one of my all time favorite subjects these days so please forgive my long post!

I have been paying my children allowance since last summer. They are 8 and 5. I choose to pay an allowance vs by the job (what I would call a commission) because I personally do not have the patience to price every chore but I do deduct a minimum of 50 cents for each job not done. I also deduct for bad behavior (usually $1) and will occasionally bonus for extra help or going above & beyond (e.g. my 5 year old loves to collect trash whenever he comes to my office - he gets a 50 cent bonus for that).  They can both earn $5 a week for their 'set' chores/expectations.  Some weeks they get the whole $5, some weeks, not so much.  BTW I picked $5 for both because my 5 year old is way more enthusiastic about helping...I think the general suggestion for allowance is $1 per year of age but this of course varies among families.

Personally, I am of the mindset that while keeping your room clean and helping around the house is part of being in a family I also strongly believe that this is the best way for me to teach my children about the importance of saving and the value of a dollar.  I pay for my childrens NEEDS but I use allowance to teach them how to save & pay for their WANTS.

I have been using a 4 Jar Savings System since I started offering allowance and I quickly learned just how much 'money' my children happen to receive in a year (think grandparents) which also made me realize just how much of 'their money' we have probably wasted on frivolous stuff.

EVERYtime my kids receive money (allowance, bday, holiday, report card, tooth fairy - heck even if they FIND money on the ground...etc) they have to automatically split it into the jars as follows: 10% Share; 30% Spend; 30% Save 1; 30% Save 2

Since I started this:

My kids regularly donate money to charities of their choice, each other's fundraisers and church with their Share Money.

My kids are allowed to buy whatever they want with their Spend Money (I try very hard NOT to interfere with their choices here).

My kids, along with my advice/guidance, pick a goal to save for and use their Save 1 Money for this goal. Just this past weekend my 8 year old bought her own American Girl Doll (Saige), an AG Mini Doll and 2 Doll Stands with her Save 1 Money. My 5 year old bought a 930 piece Lego Set with his Save 1 Money.

Finally, every month, I take my kids to the bank where they deposit their Save 2 Money into their 'real' savings account.

I think you are making a great decision to start teaching your daughter about money.  I am not sure what type of jobs you will expect of her but I think she is old enough that it could be a pretty good discussion between the two of you to find out just how much she thinks she should earn.

I also recommend using http://www.threejars.com/ - I just found this free website a few months ago and it's pretty awesome.  I WISH I could make it fourjars.com but I just combine the allocations for the SAVE Jars and keep track in the actual jars where we keep the money.  You have your own login and assign chores to her.  You can either choose to pay an allowance (deduct & add anytime) or you can choose to pay by the job.  You can also choose to do both.  SHE has her OWN login as well and she has a calendar with her jobs and she can also request jobs from you.

It's perfect for a teenager.  My 5 year old only likes to look at his 'virtual money amounts' and my 8 year old is starting to get more into using it but like I said, she is the one who is less likely to be enthusiastic about chores.  I mainly use it to help keep track of how much they have, especially when we are out and about since I don't carry their money with me.

Good Luck!!! ♥

elasmimi
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 7:20 PM

I have tried about everything I know, and my 6 y/o still doesn't do chores, unless I am right there "encouraging" her. I was going to ask for ideas on this. I feel like we are losing control already, and I know we need to be firmer, but this is a great grandchild I'm raising, and frankly I don't always have the energy. My personal feeling is that they should not have to be paid for normal responsibilities like putting away toys, making bed, hanging up their clothes, etc. But additional chores are good for pay. We insist that out of $6/week, $1 goes to church and 1 to savings, and she as begun to enjoy putting money in church. I am going to check out the three jars website.

AzariahsMother
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 7:49 PM

Thank you for your input.

Quoting mysticalmalissa:

I'm no help. I never paid the kids for normal daily living. So here is a bump.   =)

AzariahsMother
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 7:50 PM

Thank you for you're response.  This is something that I was looking for.  I'm not sure I am looking for the 3 jar's idea right at this time, but I think that is a great thing and glad it's something you are teaching your children early.  This might be something I would want to try once DD has a job and really working for things.  Right now she is more into getting her mini "wants".

This has been very helpful.

Quoting ivf_blessed:

Hi there - I know I'm wierd but this is one of my all time favorite subjects these days so please forgive my long post!

I have been paying my children allowance since last summer. They are 8 and 5. I choose to pay an allowance vs by the job (what I would call a commission) because I personally do not have the patience to price every chore but I do deduct a minimum of 50 cents for each job not done. I also deduct for bad behavior (usually $1) and will occasionally bonus for extra help or going above & beyond (e.g. my 5 year old loves to collect trash whenever he comes to my office - he gets a 50 cent bonus for that).  They can both earn $5 a week for their 'set' chores/expectations.  Some weeks they get the whole $5, some weeks, not so much.  BTW I picked $5 for both because my 5 year old is way more enthusiastic about helping...I think the general suggestion for allowance is $1 per year of age but this of course varies among families.

Personally, I am of the mindset that while keeping your room clean and helping around the house is part of being in a family I also strongly believe that this is the best way for me to teach my children about the importance of saving and the value of a dollar.  I pay for my childrens NEEDS but I use allowance to teach them how to save & pay for their WANTS.

I have been using a 4 Jar Savings System since I started offering allowance and I quickly learned just how much 'money' my children happen to receive in a year (think grandparents) which also made me realize just how much of 'their money' we have probably wasted on frivolous stuff.

EVERYtime my kids receive money (allowance, bday, holiday, report card, tooth fairy - heck even if they FIND money on the ground...etc) they have to automatically split it into the jars as follows: 10% Share; 30% Spend; 30% Save 1; 30% Save 2

Since I started this:

My kids regularly donate money to charities of their choice, each other's fundraisers and church with their Share Money.

My kids are allowed to buy whatever they want with their Spend Money (I try very hard NOT to interfere with their choices here).

My kids, along with my advice/guidance, pick a goal to save for and use their Save 1 Money for this goal. Just this past weekend my 8 year old bought her own American Girl Doll (Saige), an AG Mini Doll and 2 Doll Stands with her Save 1 Money. My 5 year old bought a 930 piece Lego Set with his Save 1 Money.

Finally, every month, I take my kids to the bank where they deposit their Save 2 Money into their 'real' savings account.

I think you are making a great decision to start teaching your daughter about money.  I am not sure what type of jobs you will expect of her but I think she is old enough that it could be a pretty good discussion between the two of you to find out just how much she thinks she should earn.

I also recommend using http://www.threejars.com/ - I just found this free website a few months ago and it's pretty awesome.  I WISH I could make it fourjars.com but I just combine the allocations for the SAVE Jars and keep track in the actual jars where we keep the money.  You have your own login and assign chores to her.  You can either choose to pay an allowance (deduct & add anytime) or you can choose to pay by the job.  You can also choose to do both.  SHE has her OWN login as well and she has a calendar with her jobs and she can also request jobs from you.

It's perfect for a teenager.  My 5 year old only likes to look at his 'virtual money amounts' and my 8 year old is starting to get more into using it but like I said, she is the one who is less likely to be enthusiastic about chores.  I mainly use it to help keep track of how much they have, especially when we are out and about since I don't carry their money with me.

Good Luck!!! ♥

AzariahsMother
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 7:57 PM

I would not pay her to keep her room clean because that is a must, but I feel like extras like doing dishes, taking the trash out, cleaning both bathrooms, etc it would be nice for her to earn money, so I don't have feel like I have to buy everything.  Of course I can say no, but when she does a good job I would like to reward her. 

When she wants things like lip gloss, or a candy bar those are things she doesn't need and are wants.  Therefore I would rather her earn some money so she can buy her wants.

Having a 6 year no I wouldn't have paid her, and I don't think I would have asked her to do anything other then help, which that is what I did...lol!   

Quoting elasmimi:

I have tried about everything I know, and my 6 y/o still doesn't do chores, unless I am right there "encouraging" her. I was going to ask for ideas on this. I feel like we are losing control already, and I know we need to be firmer, but this is a great grandchild I'm raising, and frankly I don't always have the energy. My personal feeling is that they should not have to be paid for normal responsibilities like putting away toys, making bed, hanging up their clothes, etc. But additional chores are good for pay. We insist that out of $6/week, $1 goes to church and 1 to savings, and she as begun to enjoy putting money in church. I am going to check out the three jars website.

terri76
by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 12:35 AM
I also pay per week and not by chore..my ds is 16 and i give him $20 bucks a week..i deduct money if i have to remind him or he does it half a**ed..but he is pretty good at doing it. He loads and unloads the dishwasher..feeds the animals..takes out the trash..sets the table for breakfast and dinner and cleans his own bathroom weekly..i do not include xleaning his room and making his bed because that is just a must :-)..i know some people will think i pay him too much but he is 16 and a big help so i do it. Lol
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Bluetick
by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 4:40 PM
1 mom liked this
Dd gets 20 a week
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Audreesmommy757
by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 10:29 AM

bump

AzariahsMother
by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 11:04 AM

Thank you for your response.

Quoting terri76:

I also pay per week and not by chore..my ds is 16 and i give him $20 bucks a week..i deduct money if i have to remind him or he does it half a**ed..but he is pretty good at doing it. He loads and unloads the dishwasher..feeds the animals..takes out the trash..sets the table for breakfast and dinner and cleans his own bathroom weekly..i do not include xleaning his room and making his bed because that is just a must :-)..i know some people will think i pay him too much but he is 16 and a big help so i do it. Lol

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)