Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Parenting Positive Kids Parenting Positive Kids

So DD will be 13 in May and so far when she does chores she does not get paid.  However, as of recent she has started to ask for a lot of little extra things like a hair clip, fake nails, lip gloss and etc.  Normally I would buy those things, but I kind of feel like she is at the point where she can make $ from her chores to buy those types of things. 

Guess would like to show her a little responsibility.

Do you think this is a good idea? if not why?

How would you price out each chore?

Any other thoughts or idea's would be helpful.

Thanks,

by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 11:47 AM
Replies (11-17):
Meltopia529
by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 12:44 PM
1 mom liked this
I would give her 13 a week. As long as all her things get done. For each chore she is suppose to do and doesn't take a dollar away
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
mrswillie
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 7:41 AM

WSe don't pay for chores. We believe that we all live in this house so we all keep it running well.

leighp1
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 7:51 AM

I haven't read many of the replies, so I am sorry if I repost an idea someone already had.  Yes, we do pay for chores (lately they haven't been doing them, so they don't have any money).  Today I was surfing Pinterest (my favorite ideas hang out) and I saw this chore thing that I think I am going to try.  They have a cork board that has "For Hire" on the top and then it has "clean bathroom and behind the card is an amount of money.  Kids want the here and now thing, so I am thinking this is a good thing.  You fill it up when chores need to be done and if they don't want to do it, then you can do it and keep the money for yourself. I am not good with how much certain things should cost or get paid for.  My husband is always trying to get the kids to wash his car and I think he would pay $10 for that. Cleaning the bathtub $2, toilet a million dollars cuz I hate that one.  LOL.  It also depends on the age of the child.  The younger ones don't "need" the extra money and can't do some of the bigger jobs, so they don't need to be paid as much.  The older kids, they "need" the money so they need to be paid more. 

Now that being said, if you start paying for chores, you have to stop buying the extra little things.  Think of it this way, why would you work if someone would give it to you for free?  Kids think no different.  I think I am going to input the chore cork board this coming up weekend.

Oh and you have to know that your kids will be honest and not take the money and not do the chore.  I think I would have them sign the card and date it just in case.

AzariahsMother
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 9:30 AM
What a great idea, thanks for your response.

Quoting leighp1:

I haven't read many of the replies, so I am sorry if I repost an idea someone already had.  Yes, we do pay for chores (lately they haven't been doing them, so they don't have any money).  Today I was surfing Pinterest (my favorite ideas hang out) and I saw this chore thing that I think I am going to try.  They have a cork board that has "For Hire" on the top and then it has "clean bathroom and behind the card is an amount of money.  Kids want the here and now thing, so I am thinking this is a good thing.  You fill it up when chores need to be done and if they don't want to do it, then you can do it and keep the money for yourself. I am not good with how much certain things should cost or get paid for.  My husband is always trying to get the kids to wash his car and I think he would pay $10 for that. Cleaning the bathtub $2, toilet a million dollars cuz I hate that one.  LOL.  It also depends on the age of the child.  The younger ones don't "need" the extra money and can't do some of the bigger jobs, so they don't need to be paid as much.  The older kids, they "need" the money so they need to be paid more. 

Now that being said, if you start paying for chores, you have to stop buying the extra little things.  Think of it this way, why would you work if someone would give it to you for free?  Kids think no different.  I think I am going to input the chore cork board this coming up weekend.

Oh and you have to know that your kids will be honest and not take the money and not do the chore.  I think I would have them sign the card and date it just in case.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SabrinaLC
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 1:17 PM
1 mom liked this

I should probably start doing stuff like this with my children.

ivf_blessed
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 2:14 PM

I totally agree!!!! 

The chore board is a good idea too - I might use that for 'bonus jobs'.  =0)

Quoting leighp1:

Now that being said, if you start paying for chores, you have to stop buying the extra little things. Think of it this way, why would you work if someone would give it to you for free? Kids think no different.

sweetlyblissful
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 11:31 AM
1 mom liked this
I have started paying my kids per chore. Yesterday they got .25 for making their bed, .50 for picking up their toys, .25 for putting away their clothes, and a $1.00 bonus for their room being above what I expect. It worked. They went to bed with clean rooms. :)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN