Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I went to the dog park yesterday with my kids, our dog and a couple other friends with their kids and dogs.  It was a fun outdoor activity we do every so often to let everyone out of the house to run off some energy and for the grownups to visit too.  One of the other moms had brought with her a big travel cup of coffee.  So as we are walking the paths and visiting and the kids are running crazy playing with the dogs, her little girl (6 yo, maybe 7) comes up and asks her mom for a drink of her coffee.  Her mom obliges, and simply hands the kid her entire cup, which the girl then runs off with.  A couple min later she comes back and asks if she can share her coffee with one of the other kids.  Her mom says she doesn't care as long as its ok with the other mom.  It was fine with the other mom too!  I was pretty surprised that this seemed to be a no big deal thing to everyone else.

I'm not against coffee/caffeine as a rule.  But I don't think kids that age need any extra help in the energy department.  And now my kids are asking ME for coffee!  Well their moms let THEM drink it!  I wasn't allowed coffee till I was a teenager, and soda was an extremely rare treat before then too.  Energy drinks didn't exist tillI was almost 18 (as far as I knew at that point anyhow). 

What do you think?  Is it ok for young children to drink coffee?  When would you allow your kids to drink it? 

by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 10:10 AM
Replies (11-13):
DonnaPinitonya
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 7:46 AM

DD calls tea and coco coffee so I wouldn't even know what she really wants! lol

SabrinaLC
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 1:21 PM

I don't think children need to drink coffee.

I wouldn't let my children have it.

sweetlyblissful
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 10:15 PM
My kids have had a sip of coffee in the past. But they don't get a cup of coffee. They have enough energy and I need the energy to keep up with them.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)