Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Parenting Positive Kids Parenting Positive Kids

What is your opinion?

Posted by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 7:56 AM
  • 11 Replies

How important is it that families take family vacations? Does it help the family> What about the kids?

by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 7:56 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SassyWildflower
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 8:35 AM
Ehhh i dont think its necessary ..but nice.
We go on them when we can. If not, then we find other ways to spend timw together and bond as a family.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
paris2lmp
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 8:51 AM

Depends on what you consider a vacation!  We usually go on at least one big camping trip each year where we go somewhere further than the river, but sometimes the best we can do is a tent in the back yard!  I think its important to set aside a few days a year at least where no one has to go to work/school or have other commitments besides the family, but I don't think you have to plan a hugely expensive "vacation" to accomplish that. 

AleaKat
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 8:54 AM
Yes I think it's very important to travel and let the kids have new experiences.

At 5 my son has seen La, TN, NC, SC, NYC,FL

I want them to grow up knowing that there is such a big world out there beyond our hometown.

Fully plan on taking them overseas when they are older.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SabrinaLC
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 8:59 AM

It's not like important but it's nice to do.  We didn't go on vacation last year because we had a deck put on our house.  But this summer is already planned.

It's nice to get out of the house and away from the regular everyday routine.

Mbpeaceful12
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 1:18 PM
1 mom liked this

I think that it is necessary, but let me emphasize that a family vacation or trip does not mean spending tons of money and leaving the state or the country; a family vacation or trip can be down the street or a mile away. I think it is important for the children for exposure. For example, in my neighborhood, many African American and Latino children have not been to the beach, and we live in Los Angeles. Some have never been camping, so they never saw falling stars in a smog-free, clear night sky. Before I became an adult, I could not go to the beach or camping because my parents were overprotective and did not want to go. Now I go with my children to the beach, museums, parks, and the endless list of places that I could not go when I was living at home. Before budget cuts, school field trips used to help expose children to different environments, but not anymore. Family vacations and trips (if they are positive and fun) can help with self-esteem (I practical had none when I was growing up; my classmates talked about the places they went during the weekend, and all I could do was sit there and listen) and can be informal lessons.

Meltopia529
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 3:43 PM
1 mom liked this

I agree with this. If you can't afford one, why push yourself further into debt? We try to take a mini vaca every year. Usually just a few days and we try to stay kind of close to home. With in driving distance.

Quoting SassyWildflower:

We go on them when we can. If not, then we find other ways to spend timw together and bond as a family.

SassyWildflower
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 3:45 PM
Exactly. We do lots of day trips in the spring and summer. Those are always fun!!

Quoting Meltopia529:

I agree with this. If you can't afford one, why push yourself further into debt? We try to take a mini vaca every year. Usually just a few days and we try to stay kind of close to home. With in driving distance.

Quoting SassyWildflower:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Kainalu55
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 5:40 PM

i think family vacations are great.  Sometimes we get too busy in our daily lives that we don't end up spending that quality time together.  Vacations are a great way to get that quality family time in!  We haven't gone on any big vacations lately, but we do like to stay at the hotels here where they can enjoy the pool, waterslides, boat and tram rides.

Charizma77
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 8:49 PM

It is very important for us to go vacation together. We set money aside every year to go.

Wish2Be
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 10:30 PM

I think its very important... we took a weekend vacation and I think we all bonded during it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)