Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Parenting Positive Kids Parenting Positive Kids

How active are you in your child's education?

Posted by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 8:08 AM
  • 39 Replies
1 mom liked this

How active are you in your child's education? Are you active in their school? Do you check homework daily? Do you volunteer, attend concerts and holiday parties? Chaperon field trips?

by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 8:08 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SassyWildflower
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 8:28 AM
Very. We do homework, reading and spelling daily.
I go down to the school often and i volunteer. Im there for everything special.they have.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
SabrinaLC
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 9:07 AM

I do what I can from home.  With two other young children it's hard for me to get out and be active with the school.

terri76
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 8:15 PM
All of the above..i am very involved in his education..we check homework nightly and volunteer at school
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Meltopia529
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 6:33 PM

no school aged children. I can't wait for him to get into school. I'd love to be on the pta.

mamavalor
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 3:25 PM
1 mom liked this

I volunteer at their schools and help whenever needed in the classroom. 

I don't get myself involved with their homework and studying as I think it's their responsibility.  I will help them if they need help but that is the extent of it. 

ivf_blessed
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 10:43 PM

I am involved and as active as I can be for their school.  I can't volunteer weekly since I work everyday but I try to pick one or two class events each year to attend or volunteer for each child.  No field trips during school, it's not 'in the budget' so the after school field trips are easy for me to attend.  I am very communicative with the teachers and send in any supplies they might need each month and they know they can count on me whenever they need something donated for the class.

mnm4242
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 1:13 PM

This is interesting to me. I've got a daughter going in Kindergarten next year and I've been thinking to what extent I am going to be involved in her homework. 

I am a very involved parent and want to be involved a lot. My tendency will be to be over-involved, than less involved. However, my daughter has a very strong personality and we clash a lot whenever I try to teach her anything or help her with her preschool homework (if you can even call it that), she shuts down. She does not like to be told how to do something. It's frustrating as a parent because I want to teach her things. 

I've recently read an article about how "helicopter" parenting. And how it can negatively affect children more than we think. Children need to learn from their own mistakes to a certain extent and need to feel like it is their responsibility. 

Quoting mamavalor:

I don't get myself involved with their homework and studying as I think it's their responsibility.  I will help them if they need help but that is the extent of it. 

mamavalor
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 2:34 PM
1 mom liked this

DD2 has a strong and independent personality too.  She had always (and still do) want to do things herself.  I think her first sentences were "I do it.  I do it."  She taught me to take a back seat and to be a good listener.  And I've told her I will but there will come times where she needs to listen to me.  So far so good. 

It does seem parents today are more obsessed with how well their children do.  There's a reason that the term "helicopter parent" came into vogue.  Hubby and I just keep downplaying the competition and keep encouraging learning, reflecting, and plain old playing.  We firmly believe that it's through play that we develop social skills, ways to solve problems, and self-esteem based on what we do and not what our parents do or how we are labeled by others. 

I used to be a middle school teacher and I found that kids are lost without their helicopter parents.  They have no sense of who they are and they end up being people they are not.  So sad.

Quoting mnm4242:

This is interesting to me. I've got a daughter going in Kindergarten next year and I've been thinking to what extent I am going to be involved in her homework. 

I am a very involved parent and want to be involved a lot. My tendency will be to be over-involved, than less involved. However, my daughter has a very strong personality and we clash a lot whenever I try to teach her anything or help her with her preschool homework (if you can even call it that), she shuts down. She does not like to be told how to do something. It's frustrating as a parent because I want to teach her things. 

I've recently read an article about how "helicopter" parenting. And how it can negatively affect children more than we think. Children need to learn from their own mistakes to a certain extent and need to feel like it is their responsibility. 

Quoting mamavalor:

lazyd
by Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 12:16 AM
1 mom liked this

I use to be very active, cuz i was unemployed.  But now i work again so i cant do those field trips or volunteer, etc.  Now on the homework front, i leave it up to my kids, cuz they need to learn responsibility.  I do check their grades often and i do check my son's backpack daily.  My daughter's school sends out emails and such.  I am in contact quite often with my son's teacher cuz of my son's behavioural problems in school, so i guess i am "pretty active" in that regards!

paris2lmp
by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 9:53 AM
1 mom liked this

I'm very involved because I homeschool, and thats really just a given :).  That being said, I think a balance is essential.  I'm directly involved in all aspects of their schoolwork, but I also allow them a certain amount of independance.  They are given assignments and they need to do them, but I don't hover (they can come ask for help).  I help when needed, but I don't do work or assignments FOR them.  I get them involved with extra curriculars, but I don't stand there and dictate their involvement.  They play with minimal supervision (meaning I check on them frequently, I demand to know where they are, but I don't stand watching their every move.) 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)