Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How active are you in your child's education?

Posted by   + Show Post

How active are you in your child's education? Are you active in their school? Do you check homework daily? Do you volunteer, attend concerts and holiday parties? Chaperon field trips?

by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 8:08 AM
Replies (31-39):
JasonsMom2007
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 1:49 AM

I homeschool so yeah...  We do use a charter school but I attend virtually every workshop with my son (although I did spend the time he was in art in the library searching for new curriculums today).  Other than Monday workshops I am my child's educator.

acrogodess
by Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 1:51 AM

When they attended public school, I attended most meetings, concerts, parties, field trips, etc and if I was not there then their father was. I checked homework and backpacks nightly. 

Now, I homeschool and it doesn't get much more involved than that.

kcangel63
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 1:54 AM
We homeschool. I guess that would be a yes to all of it. :)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
elasmimi
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 8:15 AM

I try to be as active as possible. We are required to do 9 hours volunteer service each year, and I already have 30. Hubby has 10.

jessicasmom1
by Bronze Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 8:18 AM

I do homework with her, reading , spelling anything special I send things in otherwise her soon is locked down

grouchymama
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 8:32 AM

My kids are 5,4 and 2. I am not overly involved in my son's school because I still have 2 kids with me all the time. Each parent gets to volunteer for 1 party. Homework is set up to include parent involvement.

I do not leave their education up to the schools. We are always working on projects at home. My 5 yr old was interested in the planets and wanted to write a non-fiction book. We started getting books out of the library about the planets and all 3 kids created a book. Even my 2 yr old can name the planets in order. Before going to Disney we studied the countries featured at the World Showcase. My kids loved it and the project keeps going because they ask me to find books about other countries they find on the map. The big project right now is that they want to read 1 book about each of the 50 states. I made them each a map and as we read a book we color in the state and add the capital. My kids are soaking everything up so fast and we are having a blast with our projects!

natesmom1228
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 8:56 AM

I am very involved in his homework and academic success. I do not volunteer at the school because I work and there aren't very many opportunities to volunteer in the middle school. I have attended every band concert that he has ever performed.

deadlights86
by Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 9:06 AM

I used to be very active but then ds issues started getting worse and the school started helping less I get up there and leave as fast as I can.

Leelee1008
by Bronze Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 10:01 AM

I am pretty active, I admit that the older they get I am not as active in the school part. My oldest sons school has a wiki page for their homework, I am on it, as well as home access checking his grades. I am in contact with the teachers about what needs to be done with him and how to help boost grades.

my middle child doesnt have that part, but I do go to this concerts, and other school functions.
I used to always be field trip chaperones, and help out with parties. I always make or buy something to send in as well.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)