Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Parenting Positive Kids Parenting Positive Kids

Do you let your kids watch dvds in the car?  What are your rules for when they can?

October is Celiac Awareness Month - did you know that only about 1 out of every 5 or 6 people who have Celiac Disease are diagnosed?  csaceliacs.org, celiac.com National Foundation for Celiac Awareness

Gwen (43) David (55) Augie (5.5) Alex (4)

by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 2:41 PM
Replies (31-36):
rebeccasmly
by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 2:01 PM

It really is sad. I hate it when the kids have friends over and they don't know how to play outside. The 1 child thought he was dying because we walked to the end of the street to go to the playground. It was too far! Then once at the playground, he just kinda sat and watched my kids play. He said he didn't like the playground because it was boring. (the child was just getting ready to 7 at the time) After that, I didn't have him back over. My son would go to his house but he knew on the days he was going over he wasn't allowed to watch TV, play video games or computer games at home. I love the family but think they did a huge disservice to their children. Dad is a huge gamer though so I know where they get it from.

Quoting RigPrincess85:

This. I totally agree about being too plugged in. It's sad

Quoting rebeccasmly:

Only when we go on trips. No other time are they allowed. I think kids are way too plugged in nowadays.

RigPrincess85
by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 2:15 PM
:( it's so different from when I was a kid. We hardly stayed in. We're really lucky with Sd(5), she's just like her daddy and loves to be outside (for the most part). It seems like family time isnt a big deal, know what i mean? i kind of feel like for some (not all) parents its just a way for them not to have to deal with spending time with their kids. Breaks my heart.

We did get her a tablet recently and at first it wasn't so bad. Lately though she got a little bad with it. So now she has to do chores in order to earn time on the tablet. She gets a maximum of 45 minutes playing on it.

Quoting rebeccasmly:

It really is sad. I hate it when the kids have friends over and they don't know how to play outside. The 1 child thought he was dying because we walked to the end of the street to go to the playground. It was too far! Then once at the playground, he just kinda sat and watched my kids play. He said he didn't like the playground because it was boring. (the child was just getting ready to 7 at the time) After that, I didn't have him back over. My son would go to his house but he knew on the days he was going over he wasn't allowed to watch TV, play video games or computer games at home. I love the family but think they did a huge disservice to their children. Dad is a huge gamer though so I know where they get it from.

Quoting RigPrincess85:

This. I totally agree about being too plugged in. It's sad

Quoting rebeccasmly:

Only when we go on trips. No other time are they allowed. I think kids are way too plugged in nowadays.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
apoynter
by Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 4:32 PM

We put the portable DVD player in the van  for long (4hr plus) car rides.....although now that my kids are ages 17-12 we don't all have to agree on a movie, as they prefer to entertain themselves. 

....although it is fun to be behind someone with the movie going in the grocery's parking lot and guess what show the other car is watching.

mrswillie
by Silver Member on Feb. 15, 2013 at 8:48 AM

My kids are teens, so normally they don't. We have taken a portable one on roadtrips.

TheBabyFactory4
by Bronze Member on Feb. 15, 2013 at 12:44 PM
Don't have a portable dvd player that works. Maybe when we upgrade to a newer expedition in a few yrs
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
timon95
by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 11:16 AM

yes, we do. no rules - just can't be too loud and no arguing. if they each want to watch a different video then they need to use their headphones. dd can only watch for so long because she gets car sick

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)