Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Parenting Positive Kids Parenting Positive Kids
My son overheard my husband say "f*ck it" and now keeps repeating it. He is 3. We take away TV time for each offense but he keeps saying it. Any ideas????
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 11:19 AM
Replies (11-20):
mrswillie
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 8:27 AM
Ignore it. He will stop.
ScrChk23
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 9:05 AM

Don't react to it.  He keeps saying it because you are reacting to it and he thinks it is funny.  We have the same issue.

cara124
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 9:22 AM

I found that if you ignore it they will stop saying it... seems the less attention give to something the better...

sukainah
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 10:00 AM

Oh no.  Yea, I'd say try not to respond to it and see if he just stops.

goddess99
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 10:30 AM

Ignore him, once he doesn't get attention he'll stop.

ceciliam
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 10:39 AM

I agree.

Quoting timon95:

try not to make a big deal out of it. tell him it is not a good word to say. the more you acknowledge him when he says it the more he will say it. see if he stops saying it if you start to ignore him.

tiabear13
by New Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 11:44 AM
1 mom liked this
Oh no! I am sure he doesn't know what it means other than he gets a reaction every time he says it. When my son said something like that, we told him it was not a nice word, it was a grown up word and one that nobody should say. We gave him something different to say - something silly, and then we worked on saying the same kind of word we gave our son to say (hope that rambling makes sense!)
dusky_rose
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 11:59 AM

50 lashes with a wet noodle for dh and try to think of something else that amuses the child. My 5 year old son is amused with bathroom humor right now. So pee and poop are so funny to him.

apoynter
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 12:12 PM

We told my son that was a 'Daddy word'....

elasmimi
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 12:44 PM

This worked for us, too.

Quoting sissyboogs:

I give my kids acceptable alternatives. When my son learned "oh shit"...I asked him to say "oh man" instead. It works for my kids.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)