Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Parenting Positive Kids Parenting Positive Kids

charts/rewards

Posted by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 4:57 PM
  • 17 Replies

I have two daughters 6 and 2 almost 7 and 3. I feel like I am constantly yelling at them and telling them to stop what they are doing or stop fighting etc. I was wondering if anyone uses a chore/behavior chart. If so what kind do you use and when do you reward.

by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 4:57 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
.Angelica.
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 6:03 PM

i don't. i've tried charts before and my son is excited for the first day, then after that just doesn't care.

SassyWildflower
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 6:43 PM

i've only used a chart for potty training.

we might start chore charts soon.

Rushn311
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 6:59 PM

Here too. I started charts with both of them at age 4. Now they know what their chores are. If they don't do them, give us issues or excuses to not doing them, we dock them allowance.

pregnancy calendar

Leelee1008
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 7:03 PM

I have heard about doing the marbles jar. each child gets a jar, and for each chore the do, they get a marble in the jar, each good dead another marble, however every time they do something they are nto supposed to do, IE: fight with sibling, not pick up toys etc, they lose them. Once the jar is filled they get a special treat, like go out for ice cream, get to rent a movie they want, or get a new toy.

GwenMB
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 9:50 PM

Quoting Leelee1008:

I have heard about doing the marbles jar. each child gets a jar, and for each chore the do, they get a marble in the jar, each good dead another marble, however every time they do something they are nto supposed to do, IE: fight with sibling, not pick up toys etc, they lose them. Once the jar is filled they get a special treat, like go out for ice cream, get to rent a movie they want, or get a new toy.

I've heard of this before, too.  I wonder if it would work with my 4 yo.  My almost 6 yo would be very motivated, but the 4 yo often doesn't care & does whatever anyway.

cara124
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 10:00 PM
I've tried them but the kids never seem to care after about a week . Just find something that works for your family & do that
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
BabyTeki
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 10:41 PM

I'm just at the potty chart stage

countrygirlkat
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 11:58 PM

I use one for my 7 year old and 6 year old.  On it there are the chores they have to do daily and the school work they have to do daily and then daily behavior at home and school.  They get a star for each one they do each day.  When they reach a certain number of stars they get to pick out a book from the next book order form from the school. 

LOswald0314
by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 1:07 AM

I have a chart with magnetic stars, I think it's by Melissa and Doug.  My 3 year old loves putting his stars on for brushing his teeth, cleaning his room, etc.  In the beginning I did bigger rewards, like a full week of stars meant he got a new car (the $3 ones), but now it's something like ice cream or a piece of candy. 

goddess99
by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 9:18 AM

My dd was the same way, zero interest.

Quoting .Angelica.:

i don't. i've tried charts before and my son is excited for the first day, then after that just doesn't care.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)