Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Parenting Positive Kids Parenting Positive Kids

why dont they get it?

Posted by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 7:09 PM
  • 17 Replies

My oldest son is in middle school this year. He is in 6th grade and he also has Add. When he started school, he loved it. He got up early and got himself ready, the joined the chess club and would do his homework and got good grades on test... We ran out of his medicine, and he was doing well, so we decided that we would stop giving it to him. The 2nd Marking period he bombed. he went from an A in math to an F. He was also getting into trouble and not paying attention, so we put him back on the meds. We are having alot of trouble with him not doing his home work, or it takes forever. He forgets to turn it in, and he isnt doing well on test again. I dont know what else to do as I am getting frusterated by all of this and he just doesnt seem to care anymore.

by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 7:09 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SassyWildflower
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 7:18 PM

((hugs)) i'm sorry

Wish2Be
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 9:31 PM

My niece is having similar issues and she is in the fourth grade....at this point they may have to hold her  back :(

GwenMB
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 9:40 PM

Does he just need time to get the med back in his system?  Have you talked to him about what has changed - is anything bothering him? Maybe he's having trouble with another kid at school?

This sounds rather frustrating!  I hope he can get his act together.

cara124
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 10:05 PM
DS 11 has time released meds for some of the same issues & he can never miss a dose or we start having the same issues until meds kick in again ( (((hugs )))) just keep trying with him something will click again soon !
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
mrswillie
by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 9:33 AM

Maybe the meds need to be changed?

Leelee1008
by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 10:15 AM

No, he has been on them for sevearl weeks now. I had a conference with his teachers on friday. His English teacher has noticed a difference in him as far as completeing his class work and participating more, but he just convieniently forgets his homework, or doesnt let me know he has any. As for math, he lost his math journal, which is a big deal, I gave him a new one but he is missing points for it... And he is just being lazy. I think he has gotten comfortable in school now and just isnt trying as hard.

Quoting GwenMB:

Does he just need time to get the med back in his system?  Have you talked to him about what has changed - is anything bothering him? Maybe he's having trouble with another kid at school?

This sounds rather frustrating!  I hope he can get his act together.

.Angelica.
by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 1:42 AM

hope he starts doing better again :(

MichelleK41
by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 6:40 AM

I am very sorry. :(    Have you scheduled a conference and how did that go?

alliesmom112
by on Feb. 21, 2013 at 1:32 PM

I am so sorry momma. Is there maybe something else going on with him?

mysticalmalissa
by Gold Member on Feb. 21, 2013 at 2:50 PM

What does his doctor say?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN