Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Parenting Positive Kids Parenting Positive Kids

I'm a first time mom and have decided that I don't want to spank my son as discipline because I had such a bad experience with it as a child and felt it did nothing for me. Now my son is 2 and I hate the term terrible twos but I feel that h pe has begun them. I understand that around the age of 2 children begin to have emotions they can not express so they espress only in the ways they can, screaming, tantrums etc. Now my problem is dealing with the tantrums positively. I just started going back to school full time and as soon as I get settled my son wants to see me. I play with him, we eat dinner and so forth but there are times when I need to do some homework or read a chapter and he acts up. Throws his toys, whines, throws himself on the floor. I feel bad because I've been home with him since he was born and now I'm gone most of the day and he's either at daycare, which he loves, and with my MIL, whom he can't get enough of, and I know all he really wants is me. 

My question is, how do you stay positive when your son is throwing a fit and you're literally about to crack. 

Also, I did spank him once and I felt horrible for it!! I didn't realize I did it until after and his face crushed me. I had horrible flashbacks from when my father would spank me and I apologized to my son immediately and gave him hugs, kisses and love.

by on Feb. 22, 2013 at 10:53 PM
Replies (11-12):
jessicasmom1
by Bronze Member on Mar. 8, 2013 at 1:22 PM
1 mom liked this

have time with your child  give them your time and you will be rewarded I did not spank her .. just explained everything to her she is now a teen and a delight  to have.

Kmakksmom
by on Mar. 25, 2013 at 1:45 PM
1 mom liked this
I have never spanked my kids. (We have 5). I have always just talked to them respectfully and firmly when needed. Our 4 year old son is so cute. If I have to "discipline" him, I say a firm "No!" in a deeper voice than usual. He stops right away, turns to me with a sad face and says "Mommy?". I then get down at his level and tell him that I love him very much but that we do not do (whatever it was he was doing) and if he may have gotten hurt I tell him that we don't want to see him hurt. I give him a huge hug and a kiss and he gives me a hug and kiss back then we go on with our day. I did that with our girls too.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)