Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Parenting Positive Kids Parenting Positive Kids

Is teaching your children manners a thing of the past?

Posted by on Feb. 25, 2013 at 2:12 PM
  • 40 Replies

This has been on my mind for a very long time now and I just need to get it off my back.

I am a mother of two boys; a one year old and a two year old. I have the exceptional privilage of being a stay at home mother. I take great pride in teaching my children manners, especially to others. My two year old is very polite and kind kind. He says "excuse me", its actually "meme". He says please and thank you. He holds doors open for people and kids. Says hello and goodbye. Waits his turn for the swings, slides, ect. My one year old is right along with him.

I DO NOT accept violence, or any other misbehaving or anykind. If my child throws a tantrum or hits out of anger or anything (which he has NEVER done) I would correct it immediatly!

I would expect this as normal parenting activity. But, nearly everytime I take my kids anywhere they are being pushed around, cut infront of, bossed around, by other kids. I will not disipline anyone elses child. But I am tired of trying to explain why that other child would not let him go down the slide.

This really hurts my childrens feelings.

Are parents neglecting teaching there kids manners because they are too lazy having to repeat themselves over and over again, or just assume teachers and daycare teachers are doing it for them?

I realize there are exceptions, adhd, emotional problems, ect. But to just let your children run amuck is just lazyness to me.

Parents these days seem to think that everything will straighten themselfs out eventually. If a child pushes or hits another child I expect that child to be corrected immediatly.

Am I the only one who expects this?  How is our next generation going to handle our future if parents now cannot control or contribute to their kids reactions and emotions. 

Please parents! Join me and watch/dislipine/interact with our children! It will be a much better place for everone.

by on Feb. 25, 2013 at 2:12 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SassyWildflower
by on Feb. 25, 2013 at 9:08 PM
2 moms liked this

YES!! It seems that many parents no longer teach their kids to be courteous and it's sad. my kids have excellent manners and when they happen to "forget" them, they are quickly reminded. 

I don't tolerate rudeness or disrespect from my kids at home or in public. My oldest has actually noticed this and made comments about the kids that are being "bad" when we are out. 

meg4763
by on Feb. 26, 2013 at 10:28 AM
1 mom liked this

I completely agree with you on this!  My ds age 6 has always been taught to use manners.  When he was 3-4 I thought the discipline was going in one ear and out the other, but we never gave up.  Now, I realize that it all paid off because he is very well-behaved and hardly ever goes past a warning.  I can not stand when I see children out in public going crazy while their parents either ignore it or make it worse by screaming at them instead of actually disciplining them.  Screaming at your child is not teaching them anything in my opinion.  What's really bad is when my son notices adults with bad manners! I'm just glad he recognizes badd behavior and knows it's not acceptable.

ScrChk23
by Bronze Member on Feb. 26, 2013 at 12:40 PM

For some people, it is a thing of the past.  Not for me.  SO and I use manners with each other as an example to the kids and we make sure that they do the same.

mamavalor
by on Feb. 28, 2013 at 1:15 PM

I teach my kids manners and expect them to use them at all times. 

MamaMandee
by Silver Member on Mar. 4, 2013 at 10:25 AM
1 mom liked this
Sadly it sure seems that way. My children have wonderful manners & are very well behaved, especially in public. Both my sister in laws got kind of pissed off cuz my MIL pointed out to them how well behaved my kids were & they should take a lesson from me.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ceciliam
by on Mar. 4, 2013 at 11:07 AM

Manners have always been very important to me. My son gets compliments on his good manners all of the time....makes me proud:)

Madelaine
by Bronze Member on Mar. 4, 2013 at 3:07 PM
Agreed!

Quoting SassyWildflower:

YES!! It seems that many parents no longer teach their kids to be courteous and it's sad. my kids have excellent manners and when they happen to "forget" them, they are quickly reminded. 

I don't tolerate rudeness or disrespect from my kids at home or in public. My oldest has actually noticed this and made comments about the kids that are being "bad" when we are out. 

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
acrogodess
by on Mar. 4, 2013 at 3:11 PM
My kids are always praised for their good manners and thoughtfulness. Good manners were taught since birth. Even before they could speak, I would say things like, "Oh, look! Grandma gave you a cookie. Let's say thank you to grandma." so one of ds's very first full sentences was saying to his godmother, "Thank you, titi, for the cookie." Dd learned good manners from modeling after not just myself, but her big brother.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
countrygirlkat
by Bronze Member on Mar. 4, 2013 at 3:15 PM

It definitely seems that way.  I think it is becoming apparent in how entiteled kids are these days because they get away with anything and everything.  It is so sad. 

Charizma77
by Carissa on Mar. 4, 2013 at 8:34 PM

Not only do we teach but we model it.  It irks me to see kids not using manners :/

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)