Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Parenting Positive Kids Parenting Positive Kids

Is teaching your children manners a thing of the past?

Posted by   + Show Post

This has been on my mind for a very long time now and I just need to get it off my back.

I am a mother of two boys; a one year old and a two year old. I have the exceptional privilage of being a stay at home mother. I take great pride in teaching my children manners, especially to others. My two year old is very polite and kind kind. He says "excuse me", its actually "meme". He says please and thank you. He holds doors open for people and kids. Says hello and goodbye. Waits his turn for the swings, slides, ect. My one year old is right along with him.

I DO NOT accept violence, or any other misbehaving or anykind. If my child throws a tantrum or hits out of anger or anything (which he has NEVER done) I would correct it immediatly!

I would expect this as normal parenting activity. But, nearly everytime I take my kids anywhere they are being pushed around, cut infront of, bossed around, by other kids. I will not disipline anyone elses child. But I am tired of trying to explain why that other child would not let him go down the slide.

This really hurts my childrens feelings.

Are parents neglecting teaching there kids manners because they are too lazy having to repeat themselves over and over again, or just assume teachers and daycare teachers are doing it for them?

I realize there are exceptions, adhd, emotional problems, ect. But to just let your children run amuck is just lazyness to me.

Parents these days seem to think that everything will straighten themselfs out eventually. If a child pushes or hits another child I expect that child to be corrected immediatly.

Am I the only one who expects this?  How is our next generation going to handle our future if parents now cannot control or contribute to their kids reactions and emotions. 

Please parents! Join me and watch/dislipine/interact with our children! It will be a much better place for everone.

by on Feb. 25, 2013 at 2:12 PM
Replies (31-40):
Madelaine
by on Jul. 3, 2013 at 12:43 PM

I think it is becoming a thing of the past sometimes.

KaylaMillar
by on Jul. 3, 2013 at 2:43 PM
I teach our kids manners and expect them to use them. I hate it when kids don't have manners!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Bob192
by on Jul. 4, 2013 at 3:24 AM

I work really hard on it...Fortunately they do better in public than at home.

GaleJ
by on Jul. 4, 2013 at 5:01 AM

I am the mother of a twenty-two-year-old son and I can tell you all that the manners we teach our children will stand them in good stead even into adulthood. Even now, as an adult, my son receives compliments on his good manners and even I have received compliments for his behavior from various people including some of his work colleagues and bosses and some of his teachers to whom I have been introduced. When this first happened I was somewhat taken aback and said so to the supervisor/adviser that said it to me and the man answered that so few young people are mannerly that it really stands out. 

So don't be discouraged and stick with it even when it seems as though you are the only one so doing, it will be a positive that they will take with them as they grow up.

mrswillie
by on Jul. 4, 2013 at 9:25 AM

I ask the same thing. Dh and I teach our children manors and old fashioned values. It seems strange to hear my 17yo ds say something about men not removing their hats in restaurants.

elasmimi
by on Jul. 4, 2013 at 1:34 PM

we are trying, but this child struggles more than any of my others.

anashadow
by on Jul. 15, 2013 at 4:21 PM

Manners is one of the first things i taught my son because it irritates me when adults or kids cant give a dang thank you! My son is 3 and he always says please, thank you, excuse me, waits his turn, and we are still working on sharing lol but he think he is getting it down well. And if he sees another kid that has a toy that he wants to play with he always goes up and asks them before he just grabs it out of their hands.

raschwittay
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 11:34 AM
My son just turned 3 as well. And he is just like yours. He has a little brother and we are still working on sharing to. But my boys have amazing manners. And don't accept anything less

Quoting anashadow:

Manners is one of the first things i taught my son because it irritates me when adults or kids cant give a dang thank you! My son is 3 and he always says please, thank you, excuse me, waits his turn, and we are still working on sharing lol but he think he is getting it down well. And if he sees another kid that has a toy that he wants to play with he always goes up and asks them before he just grabs it out of their hands.

Bmat
by on Jul. 25, 2013 at 4:20 PM

I insisted on good manners.  It is a sad commentary that when I taught evening classes at a local high school that as I lugged my supplies into the building that I was startled when one of the boys jumped up and opened the door for me.  This should be normal behavior.

slw123
by on Jul. 25, 2013 at 7:08 PM

I taught my children manners early on and it is expected of them to be polite and use polite words.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN