Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Parenting Positive Kids Parenting Positive Kids

Do you reward your child for good behavior?

Posted by on Mar. 12, 2013 at 5:43 PM
  • 15 Replies

Poll

Question: Do you reward your child for good behavior?

Options:

Yes

No

Somtimes

They shouldn't be good just to get a prize!

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 15

View Results

I mean like if they clean their room without you asking or come home with an all A report card ect. Do you give them some sort of prize or do you just say somthing along the lines of "you're awesome I'm proud of you!". Personally when my nieces and nephews are over if they do somthing good I tend to treat them by giving them an icecream or somthing like that.

weddingcountdown.com
Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers

by on Mar. 12, 2013 at 5:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
AleaKat
by on Mar. 12, 2013 at 5:46 PM
Yes, it might be an actual gift or just a special privilege.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Dorothy2011
by on Mar. 13, 2013 at 3:36 AM
1 mom liked this

I too believe that for raising good child behaviour, it’s essential to reward the kids for each of their good activity. This type of system will motivate them and will always try to do good in order to get the reward. Honestly, all children really want is to please us, and they need praise and encouragement to know that their behaviour has made us happy.

mamavalor
by on Mar. 13, 2013 at 6:32 AM

Sometimes it monetary or a special previledge.  Most of the time it's just a verbal praise or an affectionate hug.  My kids love them all, especially the hugs and kisses.  :)

DD1 came home the other day saying her language arts teacher went through all the kids reading logs.  She found that only 3 out of the 20 something kids in the class was honest with their reading:  pages, lexile number, times, etc.  The teacher conferenced with every one of those kids and made them write a letter of apology for trying to deceive.  She didn't reward those who honest.  Maybe she has something planned.  I don't know.  DD1 doesn't care; she was just glad she told the truth and didn't get in trouble.  She was embarrassed for those kids and some of them were her friends.

CJsMommy92
by on Mar. 13, 2013 at 8:05 AM

I wonder how they thought they'd get away with it. I'm sure they are tested on it eventually.

Quoting mamavalor:

Sometimes it monetary or a special previledge.  Most of the time it's just a verbal praise or an affectionate hug.  My kids love them all, especially the hugs and kisses.  :)

DD1 came home the other day saying her language arts teacher went through all the kids reading logs.  She found that only 3 out of the 20 something kids in the class was honest with their reading:  pages, lexile number, times, etc.  The teacher conferenced with every one of those kids and made them write a letter of apology for trying to deceive.  She didn't reward those who honest.  Maybe she has something planned.  I don't know.  DD1 doesn't care; she was just glad she told the truth and didn't get in trouble.  She was embarrassed for those kids and some of them were her friends.

weddingcountdown.com

goddess99
by on Mar. 13, 2013 at 10:58 AM
1 mom liked this

I do. If my dd has had a good week at school we go for an ice cream cone on Friday. Honor roll report cards get money. Good behavior at home might score her a trip to the roller rink on the weekend.

natesmom1228
by on Mar. 13, 2013 at 12:19 PM

No I use positive praise, but that is about it.

ceciliam
by on Mar. 13, 2013 at 1:35 PM

I praise my son's good behavior but I don't believe in rewards for every little thing. I think in a way it sets them up for failure.

CJsMommy92
by on Mar. 13, 2013 at 2:05 PM

Well thank you guys so far for talking about this civilly. I wanted to see how other mothers thought and get more opinions on the subject. Personally I always reward my niece and nephew because they aren't my kids. Me giving them an icecream or toy while they visit for the weekend really isn't me raising them. With my son I'll give him praise when he does good things but only good grades will be awarded.

My mom rewarded us for good grades growing up and said just like adults who will only go to work for money you can insure your child gets As and Bs with reward.

weddingcountdown.com

countrygirlkat
by on Mar. 13, 2013 at 2:23 PM

We keep a star chart for behavior and chores and once they reach a certain number of stars they get a new book.

CJsMommy92
by on Mar. 13, 2013 at 2:24 PM

Nice, they get rewarded and get somthing that will be a good activity for them

Quoting countrygirlkat:

We keep a star chart for behavior and chores and once they reach a certain number of stars they get a new book.

weddingcountdown.com

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN