Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Parenting Positive Kids Parenting Positive Kids

Do you reward your child for good behavior?

Posted by   + Show Post

Poll

Question: Do you reward your child for good behavior?

Options:

Yes

No

Somtimes

They shouldn't be good just to get a prize!

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 15

View Results

I mean like if they clean their room without you asking or come home with an all A report card ect. Do you give them some sort of prize or do you just say somthing along the lines of "you're awesome I'm proud of you!". Personally when my nieces and nephews are over if they do somthing good I tend to treat them by giving them an icecream or somthing like that.

weddingcountdown.com
Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers

by on Mar. 12, 2013 at 5:43 PM
Replies (11-15):
LOswald0314
by on Mar. 14, 2013 at 1:42 AM

Just lots of praise.  Unless it's a huge deal or a something we've been struggling with.

Gooberzilla
by on Mar. 14, 2013 at 1:54 AM
Mine is 4, so really it's just praise, but I've used stickers and sticker charts for motivation with big behaviors I wanted to change (like staying in bed). I think rewards can backfire big time if they are done in the wrong way. I will always remember the day in 7th grade when my friend told me that her mother promised her a week long trip to Disneyland with 3 of her friends if she got straight As that semester. I was so excited! I was all "yay! When are we going?" And she scoffed at me and said "yeah right. I'm not getting straight As and even if I did my mom wouldn't pay for that." For her that "reward" was demotivating (I think she ended up failing 2 classes). But I think if there is some benefit RIGHT NOW to doing something (like homework) then kids are more likely to do it.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
CJsMommy92
by on Mar. 14, 2013 at 7:49 AM

She probably was like that because I bet her mother did what my sister does. She promises prizes for stuff all the time and only actually gives what she promised about half the time. Now her kids are like whatever no you wont

Quoting Gooberzilla:

Mine is 4, so really it's just praise, but I've used stickers and sticker charts for motivation with big behaviors I wanted to change (like staying in bed). I think rewards can backfire big time if they are done in the wrong way. I will always remember the day in 7th grade when my friend told me that her mother promised her a week long trip to Disneyland with 3 of her friends if she got straight As that semester. I was so excited! I was all "yay! When are we going?" And she scoffed at me and said "yeah right. I'm not getting straight As and even if I did my mom wouldn't pay for that." For her that "reward" was demotivating (I think she ended up failing 2 classes). But I think if there is some benefit RIGHT NOW to doing something (like homework) then kids are more likely to do it.

weddingcountdown.com
Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers

johnny4ever
by on Mar. 15, 2013 at 8:23 AM

is it is warranted 

dusky_rose
by Sue on Mar. 15, 2013 at 10:41 PM

Usually just praise ,but sometimes more.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)