Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Smartest Time For Homework

Posted by on Mar. 25, 2013 at 4:35 PM
  • 14 Replies
1 mom liked this

Straight after school, after a break, following dinner . . . what's the best time for children to do their homework? With the new school year getting into swing, many moms are wondering which study routines work best. Here, Circle of Moms members share perspectives on the best time for getting the day's homework done.

Keep reading.

Right After School

Many moms find that the best time for kids to do homework is directly after school, before distractions set in. As Lori C. shares, "It's a lot easier than pulling them away from the TV or a video game once they've started playing." Janet T. also recommends this routine: "I have my kids do it directly after school. I feel that by doing this I am instilling the 'work first, play second' mentality. I also believe that I am teaching them to be responsible and not procrastinate."

After a Play Break

Other moms find that allowing kids a postschool break for a little play before settling them down to do homework works well, as it helps them burn off bottled up energy. "It depends on how well your kids focus before and after play," Amanda S. shares. As Pam C. notes, the wane of daylight may be another reason to consider a play break before homework time: "Once it starts getting dark early, I do let her go out to play first, only because there is limited daylight playtime and she's not allowed out after dark."

Around Dinner Time

Many moms find that a before-dinner homework routine is best. "We tried waiting until after dinner, but then the homework seems to take twice as long, thus bedtime gets later and later," says Kim H.

But not everyone finds this to be an issue, and many have their kids buckle down for homework right after eating. Theresa P. is a fan of the after-dinner routine: "What works best for us is to do it later. After getting off the bus, none are ready to sit down and concentrate. I let them have a snack, then go play to burn off their energy, have dinner, then it's homework time." Diane D. agrees: "I say later. It's just like when an adult gets home from work, they want to unwind a bit before going out to mow the lawn. Let 'em relax a bit too! School is work as well, they just do not get paid. Their brains needs to reboot, and a snack and play time will help. I say after dinner is the best bet."

You may want to experiment with these different homework routines to see what works best for your child. Then, as many moms advise, the key is to pick a routine and stick with it. "Every child is different, so play it by ear with yours, try a few different ways. But stick with one for a couple of days to a week before moving on, and see which works best. Then stick with that one," adds Vicki W.

What's your child's homework routine?

by on Mar. 25, 2013 at 4:35 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lalasmama2007
by Ticia on Mar. 25, 2013 at 4:52 PM

I try to get my dd to do her homework right after school.

slw123
by Bronze Member on Mar. 25, 2013 at 9:57 PM

We do it right after school.  This way when they are done, they are done.

Wish2Be
by Michelle on Mar. 26, 2013 at 1:32 AM

When I watch my nieces after school Wednesday thru Friday we do homework right after they get off the bus. Then I make them a snack while they are working....they take a short break to eat a snack and back to homework. When its done they clean their rooms and then they do what they want. It seems to work.

mrswillie
by Silver Member on Mar. 26, 2013 at 6:29 AM

Ds does his after dinner

mamavalor
by Member on Mar. 26, 2013 at 6:56 AM

It took us years figuring it out but finally we have a successful routine.  DD1 starts her right after her snack after school.  DD2 starts hers after dinner, unless she has a lot then she will start earlier.  DS is in KG so his homework assignments are more projects than daily skills sheets, so we work on them a little at a time until they are due. 

MansfieldMama
by on Mar. 28, 2013 at 12:13 PM

My youngest is still in elementary, and he likes to do his right after school while I'm cooking dinner (we eat early).  My oldest is in high school, and he usually has more homework/studying/projects, so he starts his while I'm cooking dinner.  Then he takes a break after dinner and finishes it when his brother goes to bed at 7:00.  That way they can have some time together.  It works well for our family.

Mrsmumofboys
by on Mar. 28, 2013 at 3:26 PM

We tend do the homework when the little one has gone to bed as it's alot easier than having the little one wanting to draw/climb/want things whilst were trying to concertrate. It works well for us but my little one starts school in sept sept so going to have to re-think it all again x

Madelaine
by Bronze Member on Apr. 8, 2013 at 3:00 PM

right after school is best for us.

arpazia
by Bronze Member on Apr. 8, 2013 at 3:26 PM
We do it an hour after.
Sisteract
by on Apr. 11, 2013 at 2:58 PM

I know a mom that would get the kids up early and they would do their HW before school.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)