Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Parenting Positive Kids Parenting Positive Kids

The Smartest Time For Homework

Posted by   + Show Post

Straight after school, after a break, following dinner . . . what's the best time for children to do their homework? With the new school year getting into swing, many moms are wondering which study routines work best. Here, Circle of Moms members share perspectives on the best time for getting the day's homework done.

Keep reading.

Right After School

Many moms find that the best time for kids to do homework is directly after school, before distractions set in. As Lori C. shares, "It's a lot easier than pulling them away from the TV or a video game once they've started playing." Janet T. also recommends this routine: "I have my kids do it directly after school. I feel that by doing this I am instilling the 'work first, play second' mentality. I also believe that I am teaching them to be responsible and not procrastinate."

After a Play Break

Other moms find that allowing kids a postschool break for a little play before settling them down to do homework works well, as it helps them burn off bottled up energy. "It depends on how well your kids focus before and after play," Amanda S. shares. As Pam C. notes, the wane of daylight may be another reason to consider a play break before homework time: "Once it starts getting dark early, I do let her go out to play first, only because there is limited daylight playtime and she's not allowed out after dark."

Around Dinner Time

Many moms find that a before-dinner homework routine is best. "We tried waiting until after dinner, but then the homework seems to take twice as long, thus bedtime gets later and later," says Kim H.

But not everyone finds this to be an issue, and many have their kids buckle down for homework right after eating. Theresa P. is a fan of the after-dinner routine: "What works best for us is to do it later. After getting off the bus, none are ready to sit down and concentrate. I let them have a snack, then go play to burn off their energy, have dinner, then it's homework time." Diane D. agrees: "I say later. It's just like when an adult gets home from work, they want to unwind a bit before going out to mow the lawn. Let 'em relax a bit too! School is work as well, they just do not get paid. Their brains needs to reboot, and a snack and play time will help. I say after dinner is the best bet."

You may want to experiment with these different homework routines to see what works best for your child. Then, as many moms advise, the key is to pick a routine and stick with it. "Every child is different, so play it by ear with yours, try a few different ways. But stick with one for a couple of days to a week before moving on, and see which works best. Then stick with that one," adds Vicki W.

What's your child's homework routine?

by on Mar. 25, 2013 at 4:35 PM
Replies (11-14):
MamaMandee
by Silver Member on Apr. 11, 2013 at 3:05 PM
They come home and have a snack & then we start on homework.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
la_bella_vita
by on Apr. 11, 2013 at 5:03 PM

As soon as she gets home.

jessicasmom1
by Bronze Member on Apr. 11, 2013 at 5:41 PM

right after school

Charizma77
by Carissa on Apr. 11, 2013 at 7:00 PM

After dinner, but we eat pretty early

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)