Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Parenting Positive Kids Parenting Positive Kids

Changed Toddler PIOG

Posted by on Mar. 30, 2013 at 3:14 PM
  • 2 Replies

I need help. Since my daughter spontaneously weaned two weeks ago (due to sickness and will no longer take the breast) she has turned into a different child.
She's 20 months old and sleeps in bed with us. She used to wake up crying a few times a night and I would switch sides and let her nurse on the other side and she would fall back to sleep immediately. Now she wakes up about 4 hours after going to sleep and she just screams until she falls back to sleep. We offer food and drink and it just doesn't work.

Also, she has to be walked to sleep in the Ergo which is becoming an issue due to my back problems. We purchased "The No-Cry Sleep Solution" which was a great educational read but it doesn't really guide us on how exactly to switch up her nightly routine to take out the Ergo without making her go crazy.

Her "lovie" is a small freckle/mole on my chest. She started that around 1 year - she would just rub it while she was in the Ergo (I used to do a lot of walking and would carry her in the Ergo for at least 10 hours a day) and she still does it to this day. Since weaning at night when I put her down in bed after she falls asleep in the Ergo she'll only stay down if she can have her hand on my mole for a few minutes until she falls deeper asleep. I can't figure out how to replace it as her lovie. Since weaning (which coincided with a terrible sickness) she has become super clingy to me. She's been better for more than a week now, so it's not residual crappy feelings.

I'm just so lost on what to do and my husband is worrying his head off. If anyone has any help or advice, please let me know.

by on Mar. 30, 2013 at 3:14 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
12yrmama
by Member on Mar. 30, 2013 at 8:35 PM

Sounds like my dd. She's 16 mos and self weaned a couple of weeks ago. My boobs are her lovey, I wake up with her hand down the front of my shirt (we co-sleep).

She had it easy when we first started night weaning... we had already weaned during the day and I noticed that if I switched sides but delayed offering bfing she would just go back to sleep on her own. So I went with that I switch sides but don't offer and other than a few fussy moments she went to sleep.

That was the first week, week two was ROUGH. Not full screaming but fussy and crawling all around the bed. Just unsettled and grumpy. I NEVER get out of bed with her. That just sets her off even more! As she's getting older that probably gives her mixed signals. So we just encouraged her to lay down. Try on her side, tummy, on my chest, cuddled, not cuddled, until she gives in. Some nights it would be hours. From 2 til 6, awlful. But week three is much better.

This too shall pass.

12yrmama
by Member on Mar. 30, 2013 at 8:44 PM

We used to nurse to sleep on the couch, then just hold her until I went to bed. Suddenly with weaning we had to put her to bed on her own, kind of. (we have two older kids so we just added her in with their routine)

Do a book every night. Some nights she says "No", but I still read a little, it's all about routine. Then I wrap her in 'her' blanket... the same one every night, it's slowly becoming a lovey. Then I hold her for a few minutes, swaying, then down in a crib. I rub her back until she's asleep. The first night was surprisingly easy. The next 5 were longer. Maybe a half hour to an hour. Now we're usually down to 20 minutes including book! The crib is in our room, she'll come to bed with us when we go.

You just have to do it! And be very consistant. Keep to the same routine, in a week or so she won't remember anything else. (sickness/grumpy days will be harder but just stick to it)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)