Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Parenting Positive Kids Parenting Positive Kids

Toddler bed help

Posted by on Aug. 29, 2013 at 1:36 PM
  • 4 Replies

My 18 month old is very tall for his age and can get out of his crib already, even at the lowest setting! His pediatrician says we must convert the crib to the toddler bed but we worry that emotionally and intellectually he is not ready.

Until we do the conversion (we need a baby gate for his room that we have being shipped to us) does any one have any specific suggestions as to mats or foam that will prevent him from being injured when he does climb out? We have been very lucky so far that he had not been hurt?

What about preventing injury from the toddler bed? Any advice as to roll-out prevention or anything we can put on the floor?

We already know we need to make sure to baby proof his room to make sure that if he gets up without us knowing, that he cannot get into any trouble. Of course, we do have a baby monitor.

Thank you so much all!

by on Aug. 29, 2013 at 1:36 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
RobynS
by on Sep. 3, 2013 at 5:25 PM

You can always just put the mattress on the floor and have him sleep on that. We never used toddler beds, but don't they usually have rails? If not, put a pool noodle UNDER the fitted sheet right on the edge--that helps prevent them from rolling out. Of course, it won't prevent them from getting out of bed on purpose... good luck! :)

strictmomhere
by on Sep. 3, 2013 at 6:04 PM
My youngest was 15 months in a toddler bed because he would get out of his crib we had a bed with a side rail :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Bob192
by on Sep. 4, 2013 at 2:16 AM

We started transitioning all of our kids around 18 mos.  We also started with the mattress on the floor, then moved to a twin bed with rails, then no rails.  Good luck, I know it can be a scary time!

elasmimi
by on Sep. 4, 2013 at 7:08 AM

I love the pool noodle idea!

Quoting RobynS:

You can always just put the mattress on the floor and have him sleep on that. We never used toddler beds, but don't they usually have rails? If not, put a pool noodle UNDER the fitted sheet right on the edge--that helps prevent them from rolling out. Of course, it won't prevent them from getting out of bed on purpose... good luck! :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)