Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Parenting Positive Kids Parenting Positive Kids

Self soothing....is it too late?

Posted by on Sep. 2, 2013 at 11:00 PM
  • 11 Replies
My DS is 2 years and 3 months old. He's our only child and we've rocked him to sleep since birth. He's begun to wake up in the middle of the night and ask to get into bed with DH and I. Is it too late to teach self soothing? What's the best approach?
by on Sep. 2, 2013 at 11:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
RobynS
by on Sep. 3, 2013 at 4:08 PM
2 moms liked this

Well... I'd say it's never too late... I mean, I assume you won't have him sleep in bed with you when he's a teenager, so he's got to learn sometime, somehow.

This is likely going to be harder on you than it is on him. Get him a special buddy... we like the Glo-E bear. It's white and has lights inside. It glows and slowly changes from one color to the next. Very soothing. It's something he could fall asleep with and then turn on again in the middle of the night if he needed to.

I'm sure you'll get lots of other suggestions--that's just the first one that came to mind.  Best of luck!

12yrmama
by Member on Sep. 3, 2013 at 5:05 PM

Yup. You can do it. Be patient and consistent!

I think my babies became more independent thanks to co-sleeping while small. They trust that if they really need us they can come get us. Just make a big deal outa big kid things... big kid bed, nice nightlight. And my dd's love that I gave each of them my pillow "mommy's pillow" to keep in their bed when they got their big bed. (yay, I got a new pillow with each kid)

strictmomhere
by Member on Sep. 3, 2013 at 6:25 PM
Its not to late give him a stuffy and remind him that you will see him in the morning dont give in:)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Bob192
by on Sep. 4, 2013 at 2:19 AM

Not too late, but he will fight it.  Does he have a toy that he would want to take to bed with him?

elasmimi
by on Sep. 4, 2013 at 7:05 AM

Great advice!

Quoting RobynS:

Well... I'd say it's never too late... I mean, I assume you won't have him sleep in bed with you when he's a teenager, so he's got to learn sometime, somehow.

This is likely going to be harder on you than it is on him. Get him a special buddy... we like the Glo-E bear. It's white and has lights inside. It glows and slowly changes from one color to the next. Very soothing. It's something he could fall asleep with and then turn on again in the middle of the night if he needed to.

I'm sure you'll get lots of other suggestions--that's just the first one that came to mind.  Best of luck!

Qnsmom905
by on Sep. 4, 2013 at 9:00 AM
He has a few Teddy's that he plays with but has never really developed a lovey. I guess we are his lovey since we rock him to sleep... I started laying him down with teddy last night. I see this will be a struggle but I'm committed.

CafeMom Tickers

Qnsmom905
by on Sep. 4, 2013 at 6:18 PM
He has a few Teddy's that he plays with but has never really developed a lovey. I guess we are his lovey since we rock him to sleep... I started laying him down with teddy last night. I see this will be a struggle but I'm committed.

CafeMom Tickers

Kaci
by on Sep. 20, 2013 at 12:55 PM
Ditto! And good luck!

Quoting strictmomhere:

Its not to late give him a stuffy and remind him that you will see him in the morning dont give in:)
sunshinepraying
by on Oct. 1, 2013 at 5:51 PM
I'm having a similar issue with my almost 2 1/2 yr old with her night nursings. She goes through times where she will sleep through the night for like a week straight. Then she goes back to waking up during the night but wakes up even more than the last time she was doing it. Now it's once an hr. I'm trying to get her to self-soothe..with my lack of sleep..
TigerofMu
by Bronze Member on Oct. 2, 2013 at 5:32 PM

I'm sure you can do it!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)