Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Supportive Moms Help Kids Grow into Committed Partners

Posted by on Sep. 3, 2013 at 8:39 PM
  • 7 Replies

By Blythe Copeland

Supporting your toddlers when they're faced with a challenging task could have positive effects that go way beyond boosting their self-esteem in the moment:Time Healthland reports on a study showing that supportive moms also help children grow into more committed romantic partners with a better chance of success in their relationships.

The study also asked 16-year-olds a series of questions designed to judge the way they handle conflict in relationships and found that those who were better problem-solvers as teens were also more often the "strong link" in their adult relationships. 

That might not seem like groundbreaking work, but it does point to the way your daily dealings with your kids may create a pattern for their lives. From the article:

“The takeaway for me is that early relationships set the stage for current relationships,” says lead study author Minda Oriña. “If people have been somewhat punitive in the past toward you or you have had relationships where there is always a winner/loser, it's less likely you will enter a romantic relationship with an attitude of trust and willingness to work through problems.”

How do you support your kids and teach them to resolve conflicts?

by on Sep. 3, 2013 at 8:39 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
sukainah
by Bronze Member on Sep. 3, 2013 at 10:38 PM

My kids are still young, so I'm teaching them to treat others as they want to be treated, to share and apologize if you have hurt the other's feelings

Bob192
by Crystal on Sep. 4, 2013 at 2:12 AM

I try to help them understand how the other person feels and what respectful words sound like.

elasmimi
by on Sep. 4, 2013 at 7:12 AM

Mine is only 7, not too good yet at conflict resolution.

melissa7283
by on Sep. 7, 2013 at 12:11 AM
I support my Babies 100% !
im a very involved mommie n im a good listener too! If they r havn difficulty with anything i help them. I hope to build a relationship w/mine that no matter what it is they feel comfortable to come to me for comfort and or advice in future! Im aiming on raising strong willed stable self sufficient children. Also very respectful Loving caring helpful children.... ((:
Kaci
by on Sep. 20, 2013 at 1:05 PM
I also did this!

Quoting Bob192:

I try to help them understand how the other person feels and what respectful words sound like.

sunshinepraying
by Bronze Member on Oct. 1, 2013 at 5:46 PM
1 mom liked this
I do this, as well as try to help them see if the situation was turned around.

Quoting sukainah:

My kids are still young, so I'm teaching them to treat others as they want to be treated, to share and apologize if you have hurt the other's feelings

TigerofMu
by Bronze Member on Oct. 2, 2013 at 5:33 PM

That is fantastic!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)