Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Parenting Positive Kids Parenting Positive Kids

Goodbye, iPod: How Singing to Your Kids Improves Development

Posted by on Sep. 3, 2013 at 8:47 PM
  • 14 Replies

By Blythe Copeland

All those songs you're singing to your baby -- night time lullabyes, your favorite pop hits in the car, the oldies your mom sang to you -- may be doing a lot more for your child's development than you think.

The Stir references a piece fromThe Guardian, in which Sally Goddard Blythe, director of the Institute for Neuro-Physiological Psychology in England, says that singing to children who are too young to speak can encourage better language skills in the future. 

In her book, The Genius of Natural Childhood, Blythe explains that the combination of music and lyrics requires a baby to use more of its brain. "Song is a special type of speech," she says. "Lullabies, songs, and rhymes of every culture carry the 'signature' melodies and inflections of a mother tongue, preparing a child's ear, voice, and brain for language."

But if you think you can just choose your favorite album and let your iPod do the performing for you, think again: Recorded music doesn't have the same effect as a parent's singing. "Babies are particularly responsive when the music comes directly from the parent," says Blythe. "Singing along with a parent is for the development of reciprocal communication."

What's your favorite song to sing to your baby?

by on Sep. 3, 2013 at 8:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sukainah
by Bronze Member on Sep. 3, 2013 at 10:42 PM

I made up my own songs for each kid.  Short and sweet songs.  I hope I can still remember them!

arpazia
by Bronze Member on Sep. 3, 2013 at 11:43 PM
1 mom liked this
I was singing around my 8 year old a few days ago...
He asked if I would please knock that off...
Haha
Bob192
by Crystal on Sep. 4, 2013 at 2:10 AM

We sing lots of stuff!  Stuff off the radio, kids songs, etc.

melissa7283
by on Sep. 7, 2013 at 12:18 AM
I sing my own made up mommie songs to them alot! ! ! ! I also sing em ' he's got the whole world'! ! ! ! plus many more. . . . . . . .
((:
melissa7283
by on Sep. 7, 2013 at 12:36 AM
1 mom liked this

melissa7283
by on Sep. 7, 2013 at 12:38 AM
1 mom liked this

melissa7283
by on Sep. 7, 2013 at 12:40 AM

lalasmama2007
by Ticia on Sep. 7, 2013 at 9:32 AM

Interesting.  I used to sing to my dd a lot when she was a baby.

Kaci
by on Sep. 20, 2013 at 1:03 PM
I sing different songs to my gd. It actually soothes her if she wakes up crying.when her dad was a baby I would sing "Somewhere Over The Rainbow" to him and I joke that it made him cry.
ablackdolphin
by Bronze Member on Sep. 23, 2013 at 11:27 AM

I always rocked my kids to sleep singing the ABC song in a lullaby tone of voice.  I figured it was serving more than one purpose lol

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)